Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements - 2018/2019

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements - 2018/2019

If you've noticed a lot of construction equipment along the Custis Trail in Rosslyn, it's because the Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements project is about to start another phase of construction. This one will begin as early as December 3, and will narrow part of the trail to 6 feet between Fort Meyer Drive and Lynn Street.

When all is said and done, the project will do some great things for trail users, including widening the Custis Trail, shortening crossing distances, and giving everyone more space within the project area.

I wrote up a short piece on the BikeArlington blog with a bit more detail. We have a second piece going up this week, and I'll share that one here too.

2. Likes huskerdont, Tania, Judd, josh, KWL, dasgeh, Yule liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    If you've noticed a lot of construction equipment along the Custis Trail in Rosslyn, it's because the Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements project is about to start another phase of construction. This one will begin as early as December 3, and will narrow part of the trail to 6 feet between Fort Meyer Drive and Lynn Street.

When all is said and done, the project will do some great things for trail users, including widening the Custis Trail, shortening crossing distances, and giving everyone more space within the project area.

I wrote up a short piece on the BikeArlington blog with a bit more detail. We have a second piece going up this week, and I'll share that one here too.
    ‘‘Tis the year of narrow trails and construction detours in Arlington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Planned 16’ wide trail with 6-foot buffer (existing 10’ & 3’buffer)
    Great news.

Looking good:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis Trail at Rosslyn BEFORE.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	18629 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis Trail at Rosslyn AFTER.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	18630

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Praise be the little baby Jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy for this project. I'm sad that it doesn't really do very much, in my opinion, to improve safety at the IOD and its surrounding intersections. I love "luminous bodies" and "semi-custom fences" as much as the next guy, but pedestrian bridges over Lynn St. and both directions of Lee Hwy would be much better.

8. Likes VikingMariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    I'm happy for this project. I'm sad that it doesn't really do very much, in my opinion, to improve safety at the IOD and its surrounding intersections. I love "luminous bodies" and "semi-custom fences" as much as the next guy, but pedestrian bridges over Lynn St. and both directions of Lee Hwy would be much better.
    The IOD can be much improved for much less cost than building bridges (or tunnels), and actually is better than those alternatives.

10. Likes dasgeh, scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The IOD can be much improved for much less cost than building bridges (or tunnels), and actually is better than those alternatives.
    Do you feel the current work will accomplish those improvements?

Also, I read the linked post. It proposes some smart improvements but ignores a number of danger spots in the greater IOD (that is, other than the Custis trail crossing at Lynn St.). For example, my most recent terrifying near accident was on the south side of Gateway Park.
    Last edited by accordioneur; 12-06-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

No. The Esplanade project does only a little to improve the IoD, if anything. I also think it will exacerbate conflicts at the Marriott (cars will need to roll forward onto the trail in order to see Lee Highway and turn onto it).
    My post did not specifically deal with the south side of Gateway Park, which is its own sh**show.

The purpose of my post was to suggest a superior alternative to a tunnel or bridge over/under Lynn St., which almost certainly would take longer and be way more expensive (and therefore less likely to ever happen), to fix the IoD. It only dealt with that one location. Other people have been thinking about the rest of Rosslyn for a while.

13. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also disappointed the project does not involve mode separation on the Custis.