Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Irony

Post Thanks / Like

Default Irony

My friend Eric D. snapped this photo this morning while out delivering for a food bank. Near S. George Mason and 50. I found the sign ironic... no wonder there are so many cyclists who are afraid to use the streets, bike lane or no. This took skilz, because he used more than the full lane, and parked on end for easy unpacking of his trunk area. Be careful out there people.

Name:  46674525_10213302883348340_4548032202213949440_o.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  99.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I call weekend special. In Vienna, I have read more than one report of drunk drivers waving across all 4 lanes of Maple AVE, so I avoid bike lanes after dark on weekends, especially during the holidays.
    Last edited by n18; 11-26-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing this photo demonstrates is that curbs are merely an illusion of protection. They might keep a car off a sidewalk if it's traveling slowly and nearly parallel to the curb or at an oblique angle to it, but a really determined driver can jump that thing and run you down, no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    The other thing this photo demonstrates is that curbs are merely an illusion of protection. They might keep a car off a sidewalk if it's traveling slowly and nearly parallel to the curb or at an oblique angle to it, but a really determined driver can jump that thing and run you down, no problem.
    True, a curb does not protect against an out-of-control vehicle. However, it is a big deterrent to drivers who are trying to maneuver around something, like a left-turning car. It's way, way better than a painted line, I tell ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    True, a curb does not protect against an out-of-control vehicle. However, it is a big deterrent to drivers who are trying to maneuver around something, like a left-turning car. It's way, way better than a painted line, I tell ya.
    Nothing protects like a bollard, though.

6. Dislikes Steve O disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    No argument there. I was thinking of it more from a pedestrian's viewpoint. I'm always hyperaware as a dog-walking pedestrian, but I don't get the sense that many walkers are too worried about cars. I see street signs knocked over everywhere on our walks, and think, but for poor timing....

Who knows, maybe I'm just getting old and nervy.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 11-27-2018 at 10:01 AM.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I see street signs knocked over everywhere on out walks, and think, but for poor timing....
    I call that "Luck of the distracted driver". Imagine a UPS driver, who records everything during a trip in a dashcam. After reviewing the video, he realizes that in 90% of right turns(Like in Fairfax county), there were no pedestrians. So a driver is 90% lucky that he or she didn't hit anyone, as if it's idiot proof. In DC, and some parts of Arlington, that's a different story.