Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Could we have done anything different?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could we have done anything different?

Three of us were crossing Falls Road in Potomac today. We were all wearing screaming bright jackets and had lights on our bikes. This was during the day.

We stopped in our lane and waited for the traffic to pass. They drive crazy fast and we know to be very careful.

When it looked like the last car (from the R) was about to pass, we clipped in and started to go, anticipating that the road would then be clear.

He turned left (turn signal? None of us saw one) into our lane, narrowly missing two of us. We were shaken but fine.

I guess the old adage "Never trust the LIVING" rings true. (Betelgeuse).

Driver was clearly in the wrong, but in the future I will likely simply wait until I am SUPER SURE that no vehicle is ready to end my life.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Regards, Jessica H.

Post Thanks / Like

Was that on River Road or somewhere else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Hirschhorn View Post
    I guess the old adage "Never trust the LIVING" rings true. (Betelgeuse).
    Hi Jessica!

My .02 is something akin to what you said, i.e. never trust a driver in a vehicle. Not that you did anything wrong, the only thing you could've done differently is wait to see his tail lights before proceeding.

Drivers act like they're the only ones who belong on the road, and since he was the last one through the intersection he figured a turn signal wasn't worth the effort. Not sure if he cut the corner, but he may have seen you (iffy) and not accounted for the fact you'd started through the intersection.

The only sure way no vehicle is ends your life is to avoid occupying the same space. Betting that drivers will 1) see you and 2) yield is a risky gamble. I like to hear chirping crickets before I cross, and it may mean waiting awhile.

Glad nobody was hurt, but scary nonetheless.

4. Likes streetsmarts, Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brickyard and Falls, Potomac.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your .02. I like the tail lights rule. J.

7. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to me at a different intersection. I had looked both ways and was proceeding across. However, the driver coming from the left must have been speeding (and cresting a very slight hill) and got there so fast that I had to dodge. Not much you can do about that. Tail lights wouldn't have helped. Speed bumps. And rotary intersections.

9. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post