Likes Likes:  173
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BAFS 2019 General Info Sticky

Post Thanks / Like

I get what you are trying to accomplish but 100 miles is really low. I could see capping it at 200 maybe but 100 discourages fun team long rides because now you’ve created a situation where team miles aren’t going to count in a lot of cases.

2. Likes AlanA, musclys, josh, kwarkentien, ian74 liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I don't think anything has ever actually been decided by people discussing on the forum. Someone just makes an executive decision and some people complain and then everyone moves on.

While I think this is a bold move, Im glad someone is taking the reins here. And I'm curious to see how this rule plays out. There are tons of pointless prizes that can reward miles in a cap-free way. This team contribution cap seems to strongly encourage daily riding. Seems to be in the spirit of the game.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    To be fair, I don't think anything has ever actually been decided by people discussing on the forum. Someone just makes an executive decision and some people complain and then everyone moves on.

While I think this is a bold move, Im glad someone is taking the reins here. And I'm curious to see how this rule plays out. There are tons of pointless prizes that can reward miles in a cap-free way. This team contribution cap seems to strongly encourage daily riding. Seems to be in the spirit of the game.
    It encourages daily riding by limiting many of us to three days of contribution a week? Interesting theory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    It encourages daily riding by limiting many of us to three days of contribution a week? Interesting theory.
    100 miles, but 10 points per day. It definitely encourages daily riding, yes.

In case this isn't clear.

3 days, 100 miles = 130 points
    7 days 100 miles = 170 points

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

I attempted to establish consensus driven governance. Which I admit is hard, especially for people not used to it. In the beginning it did work. Some people screamed about all the varying opinions ... but consensus could be identified and the discussion did move forward.

I do admit that it did devolve into bickering as sport. Part of that was because of some inexperience with consensus driven process. Consensus driven process - once it has momentum - has as part of the process that the decisions dont get changed unless there is consensus to do so. Certain people took to making shit up - which resulted in a lot of bickering - and degraded the process. Whatever.

One assumption was that this was an experience based on the community - that no one was in charge. This was both good - and a trick. If no one is in charge, no one can get sued. Of course, once someone asserts themselves as in charge..... and makes decisions.... well.... its just better to avoid being in charge and needing to consult your attorney to ensure that you are not at risk of liability.

As for the decision at issue, I will say - I think Subby is right.

7. Likes AlanA, hozn, LhasaCM, musclys liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

100 miles, but 10 points per day. It definitely encourages daily riding, yes.

In case this isn't clear.

3 days, 100 miles = 130 points
    7 days 100 miles = 170 points
    Ah, by “encourages daily riding” you meant “encourages lots of sleaze rides.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100;

As for the decision at issue, I will say - I think Subby is right.
    Good god, man, don’t encourage him.

10. Likes streetsmarts, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, yes,daily sleaze rides. Emphasis shifts to riding every day as opposed to riding for any duration or distance. I assume the number was chosen due to being a median distance for the competitors, but I have no idea.

But are any of us discussing this even playing this game? :-). I'm certainly not, and would be surprised if Subby were to come back to this again.

12. Likes LhasaCM, jrenaut, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, yes,daily sleaze rides. Emphasis shifts to riding every day as opposed to riding for any duration or distance. I assume the number was chosen due to being a median distance for the competitors, but I have no idea.

But are any of us discussing this even playing this game? :-). I'm certainly not, and would be surprised if Subby were to come back to this again.
    I was planning on returning to it, which is why I saw this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I am fairly new to this dumb challenge (which I must admit, is very addictive), I seem to recall that the whole point of this challenge when it started was to promote daily commuters. Based upon this, it certainly seems to have gotten back to it's original roots. Sadly, I don't work, so this really doesn't work for me. And you will certainly never find me awake before 7:00 am (unless I'm catching a flight to somewhere much warmer). And as per one other comment on this thread mentioned, there will be no benefit to doing a long team ride over the weekend.

But I still signed up because it's fun to be participating in something and meeting other fellow cyclists. I'm pretty sure that past winners and winning teams have not been able to retire based upon their winnings from this challenge.

And one final note, I think the 1 mile sleaze ride is quite bogus. I've certainly done it in the past, but what does it really accomplish? A person riding one mile around their neighborhood in awful weather (or while they are sick) is not promoting anything of value.