Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BAFS 2019 General Info Sticky

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really interested in and optimistic about the new system!

I was new to this last year, and am playing again this year. I don't have the numbers, so I may be talking out of my butt -- but, my impression as a newbie last year was that the team stuff felt like a race among the top three or maybe four members of each team, and what the bottom six or seven did didn't seem to matter one way or the other. If your number #1 rider was worse than their #1 rider, that seemed to be more or less it. Again -- maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it felt like.

With the new system, I suspect that the top three riders on each team will max out every week -- so the efforts of the 4th, 5th, and 6th riders on each team will matter a lot more, and the 7th through 10th will potentially make more of a difference. I think that having more people have more of a meaningful role in the team competition is a good thing.

2. Likes secstate, elizsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the mile-cap rule is terrible -- though it might be better for my mental-health this winter. But if this is about leveling the playing field and encouraging broader participation, why don't we just do away with miles entirely. Or maybe count any outdoor activity miles. Can we start an e-scooter thread?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the mile-cap rule is a modest nod toward a long debate about how much team scores should benefit from having a few high-mileage riders. There's no right or wrong answer here, and given the diverse (and it seems sometimes unhinged) psychologies that people bring to the competition, no scoring system will satisfy every need. It will be interesting to hear from teams and in particular members who are consistently below the cap about whether it motivated them to ride more, organize more team events, and so on.

It's a worthwhile experiment. Kudos to this year's active volunteers for making the change.

Post Thanks / Like

ok fine everyone starts each week with 50 miles as a way to mitigate the effect of people who sign up and never ride

Post Thanks / Like

This wasn't a Bike Arlington decision - don't kill the messenger. This was a decision based on the fact that we haven't had competitive teams in years. One team has run away with it early ever since like year 2. And I would love to boot people who don't keep up a decent weekly average, but that idea has never gained any real traction.

As a volunteer-run game, the people who consistently volunteer for the hard jobs get to make the rules. If the cap sucks this year, we can change it next year.