Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAFT 2019 registration form is up--please review!

Post Thanks / Like

The draft form looks great. Maybe consider adding a text box for other information people may want to share. Most people won't use it, but you may get additional details (e.g., other good ideas).

As a first time participant last year, I thought the instructions that you all provided regarding registration were clear and comprehensive.
    Last edited by dbehrend; 11-19-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    The draft form looks great. Maybe consider adding a text box for other information people may want to share. Most people won't use it, but you may get additional details (e.g., other good ideas).

As a first time participant last year, I thought the instructions that you all provided regarding registration were clear and comprehensive.
    To be honest, I'm wary of allowing people to submit other information via the form. The reason is that I already end up being the recipient of all sorts of questions that really should go to other people. My only function is registration. Yet people ask me when happy hours will be, how to fix a problem on the website, how to set up a pointless prize, etc.--none of which I am in a position to know. So this year, I will have a complete list of who is in charge of what go into the confirmation e-mail, in the hope that I won't end up being in the middle quite so often. If I allowed people to submit other information via the form, then I would have to keep track of each registration as it arrived, and direct any questions to the appropriate person myself, which would rather undermine that effort.

3. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    To be honest, I'm wary of allowing people to submit other information via the form. The reason is that I already end up being the recipient of all sorts of questions that really should go to other people. My only function is registration. Yet people ask me when happy hours will be, how to fix a problem on the website, how to set up a pointless prize, etc.--none of which I am in a position to know. So this year, I will have a complete list of who is in charge of what go into the confirmation e-mail, in the hope that I won't end up being in the middle quite so often. If I allowed people to submit other information via the form, then I would have to keep track of each registration as it arrived, and direct any questions to the appropriate person myself, which would rather undermine that effort.
    Ok. That makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping to answer all the questions directed at me here. It has been a busy weekend (BikeneticX was a muddy mess of a success, though!).

Just an FYI, in case anyone cares or it makes a difference: I am NOT participating in BAFS this year. But I do hope to see all of you out and about over the winter and will probably still organize some fun rides (specifically catered to those who are doing Croatan Buck Fifty or like to ride and drink beer).

Team Assignments:
    In the past I have done my best to put everyone that requested to be on a "local" team on a "local" team. This generally meant folks from MD who wanted to be on a local team were teamed up with other folks from MD. DC and VA were the same. I tried to be as accommodating as possible, but it is really hard to make the teams equal when folks in DC only have a 5-10 mile commute versus those out in VA who might have a 20-30 mile commute. Plus, it makes doing team assignments a bigger pain in the ass.

The assignments have never truly been random. I assign everyone a value based upon the information that I can gather about their riding styles. Some of this information is based upon what they put on the registration form, some of it is based upon previous years, and other is gathered through ride tracking data (Strava, Garmin Connect, Wahooligans, etc.). I then assign values for "local" teams if they have indicated they want to be local. There is a value for those who want to be team captain. I then do a lot of fun math and put people in buckets with specific values that I randomly draw from to arrange the teams so that they all have a relatively equal value in the end. This generally gets done a couple of times before team announcements because people inevitably send messages about deciding not to play or someone has a friend that will JUST ABSOLUTELY DIE if they can not play. Then once the announcements are made, that is when the REAL fun starts when people never show up or hate their team, etc.

Again, I have always tried to accommodate all the requests that I get, but you can not make everyone happy. People complained so much last year that I am pretty much done with trying to accommodate people. Which is why I said I would do it, but once assignments are done, they are done and no substitutions will be made. (But, honestly, if we have a way to only allow folks with confirmed emails in, that might actually solve all the problems.)

If Chuck or awitt want to take it over, by all means, have fun. But you will be on your own, as I am not going to have much time between now and the end of the year to walk you through the process between work and CX nationals.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont collect any information that you do not need

7. Likes awitt, Emm, elizsnyder, musclys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also cross-posting to the volunteers thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    If Chuck or awitt want to take it over, by all means, have fun. But you will be on your own, as I am not going to have much time between now and the end of the year to walk you through the process between work and CX nationals.
    If I'm going to be on my own if I decide to take over, does that mean I'm free to come up with a "system" for team assignments that may or may not closely resemble the existing system? And do we absolutely have to have local teams? Since it would be my first time doing it, I'd rather make it as "simple" as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no leadership to this contest, so whoever is in charge of a function has discretion regarding how that function is run. That would include decisions on whether to have local teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Also cross-posting to the volunteers thread.

If I'm going to be on my own if I decide to take over, does that mean I'm free to come up with a "system" for team assignments that may or may not closely resemble the existing system? And do we absolutely have to have local teams? Since it would be my first time doing it, I'd rather make it as "simple" as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    There is no leadership to this contest, so whoever is in charge of a function has discretion regarding how that function is run. That would include decisions on whether to have local teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I assign everyone a value based upon the information that I can gather about their riding styles. Some of this information is based upon what they put on the registration form, some of it is based upon previous years, and other is gathered through ride tracking data (Strava, Garmin Connect, Wahooligans, etc.).
    I know I'm going to regret this, but ...

Assuming I have (or have access to) the kind of data Casey cited, I'm willing to give her a break and do team assignments this year. Essentially, I'll do my best to "balance" teams based on available mileage data (knowing, like the stock market, that past performance is not necessarily a predictor of the future results).

NO LOCAL TEAMS!

Also, since I'll be doing this "by hand," I won't be able to accommodate any special requests (and yes, Casey knows I was one of those people who asked ... politely ... last year). It would be good if the registration form is VERY EXPLICIT that team assignments are what they are and that special requests can't be accommodated.

11. Likes awitt, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    I know I'm going to regret this, but ...

Assuming I have (or have access to) the kind of data Casey cited, I'm willing to give her a break and do team assignments this year. Essentially, I'll do my best to "balance" teams based on available mileage data (knowing, like the stock market, that past performance is not necessarily a predictor of the future results).

NO LOCAL TEAMS!

Also, since I'll be doing this "by hand," I won't be able to accommodate any special requests (and yes, Casey knows I was one of those people who asked ... politely ... last year). It would be good if the registration form is VERY EXPLICIT that team assignments are what they are and that special requests can't be accommodated.
    I have deleted the question about local teams, and added a statement about no special requests, to the registration form. Can you please check it out, and let me know if it works for you.

Also, Henry is putting together the "sticky" for this year. Last year's sticky can be found at this link. If you have changes you want made to reflect whatever you are doing, please let Henry know directly.

I've sent the whole leadership an e-mail with other basic information. If you don't get it, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Form looks good to me, but then all Ima do is register and ride my bike so I'd accept whatever. Thank you to all those doing the work.

14. Likes LhasaCM, jrenaut liked this post