Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAFT 2019 registration form is up--please review!

Post Thanks / Like

Default DRAFT 2019 registration form is up--please review!

Reminder: This is a draft, for comments. There is no "Submit" button precisely because we do not want anyone to attempt to submit it.

I have just put up a draft of a registration form at http://register.freezingsaddles.com. I would ask that anyone who plans to complain later about the contents of this form, or the information it collects, do so now before it goes live (which I anticipate will be Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter). While I am not taking votes on the form (after a disastrous attempt at that a few years back!), I will say that your comments will be given much more consideration now than a week from now.

A few notes:

1. The link to the sticky will be replaced with a link to this year's sticky once we have one. In a separate post, I've asked Henry whether he will be doing that, or whether we need a different volunteer.
    2. I have not allowed for the registration of slackers, or friends of BAFS, or idle buggers who can't be bothered to compete, or whatever we are calling them this year. (Warning to the newbies: discussions on such critical topics as what to call hangers on who don't compete can take pages on this forum, but are typically good humored.) If we want to impose any conditions at all on such people (e.g., that they must have competed before, or must live in the area), I would favor registration for them. However, in keeping with the general rule that anyone who performs a function gets to decide the rules for that function, I will leave that to the registration czar (Sunyata) to decide.
    3. I've indicated a cap of 250 registrations. Last year, this was done at hozn's request, because it apparently makes the backend easier. Obscurerichard, does that seem like a reasonable cap this year?

2. Dislikes rachel_c disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh-oh, I just re-registered for BAFS 2018. I saw a submit button and just had to click it. Sorry!

On the feedback side, shouldn't the placeholder text for the miles ridden in BAFS 2018 be "Miles in Freezing Saddles 2018" rather than "Miles in Freezing Saddles 2017"? Also, I'm torn on whether I should help teach self-driving cars via reCAPTCHA.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 4.29.42 PM.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  12.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I will reiterate my pedantic complaint that FCC at Swings, being the original, does not need the "I".

Otherwise it looks good. Thanks for the work!

5. Likes KWL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else notice that ...

Anyone else notice that the registration form for BAFS2019 does not have a "SUBMIT" button?
    Thanks
    FFG

7. Likes josh liked this post
    Dislikes cvcalhoun disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    Anyone else notice that the registration form for BAFS2019 does not have a "SUBMIT" button?
    Thanks
    FFG
    Cvcalhoun's head is exploding right now

Post Thanks / Like

One correction. Delete what's in red in paragraph below:

Freezing Saddles is a game organized by friends in the Washington Area Bike Forum. It is a hat tournament style competition where participants are randomly assigned to teams based on some weird system the Washington Area Bike Forum has come up with over the years. Communications and organization will be through the Washington Area Bike Forum.

Question: 250 registrations = how many teams? I can't remember how many people per team (you would think I should know since I was a team captain last year). But 250 is only "easily" divisible by 10, so that would mean 25 teams. Is that what we're aiming for?
    Last edited by chuxtr; 11-17-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing ... Are we really going to try to create teams based on locality? I don't think Casey did that last year. And seems like it would be a total PITA to do. If everyone wants to be on a team where all their team members are close by, I'm guessing it will be nearly impossible to put together 20+ teams. Plus I always thought part of the "spirit" of FS was for people who lived in different places to get to know each other.

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of stepping on the toes of people who have been doing this for many years, I have a couple of things to mention:
    I wouldn’t describe the team assignments as random, but I tend to take everything litterally which I know is not very FS.
    I like having local teams and I wished my team last year was more local. I never met several people on my team because we were so spread out. Multi-team rides and other events are the time to meet people from other areas. I’m also volunteering to help with team assignments because i know this is a PITA.

12. Likes El Swift liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Uh-oh, I just re-registered for BAFS 2018. I saw a submit button and just had to click it. Sorry!

On the feedback side, shouldn't the placeholder text for the miles ridden in BAFS 2018 be "Miles in Freezing Saddles 2018" rather than "Miles in Freezing Saddles 2017"? Also, I'm torn on whether I should help teach self-driving cars via reCAPTCHA.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 4.29.42 PM.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  12.2 KB
    You managed to get into the form in the approximately 30 seconds before I realized that it was still incorporating the 2018 form, rather than the 2019 form. After that was fixed, all the problems you mentioned (except maybe the self-driving cars) went away.

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I will reiterate my pedantic complaint that FCC at Swings, being the original, does not need the "I".

Otherwise it looks good. Thanks for the work!
    FCC is now without the I. Never say I don't take criticism into account!

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    One correction. Delete what's in red in paragraph below:

Freezing Saddles is a game organized by friends in the Washington Area Bike Forum. It is a hat tournament style competition where participants are randomly assigned to teams based on some weird system the Washington Area Bike Forum has come up with over the years. Communications and organization will be through the Washington Area Bike Forum.

Question: 250 registrations = how many teams? I can't remember how many people per team (you would think I should know since I was a team captain last year). But 250 is only "easily" divisible by 10, so that would mean 25 teams. Is that what we're aiming for?
    It is in fact a hat tournament. See this link for a definition. http://www.whatisultimate.com/what-i...of-tournament/.

We limit it to 250 registrations. However, that does not necessarily mean 250 players. Some people register, then fail to show up, so they get struck from the rolls. Sunyata then has complete discretion to include enough people over the 250 cap to make up the number of teams she thinks is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Another thing ... Are we really going to try to create teams based on locality? I don't think Casey did that last year. And seems like it would be a total PITA to do. If everyone wants to be on a team where all their team members are close by, I'm guessing it will be nearly impossible to put together 20+ teams. Plus I always thought part of the "spirit" of FS was for people who lived in different places to get to know each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by awitt View Post
    At the risk of stepping on the toes of people who have been doing this for many years, I have a couple of things to mention:
    I wouldn’t describe the team assignments as random, but I tend to take everything litterally which I know is not very FS.
    I like having local teams and I wished my team last year was more local. I never met several people on my team because we were so spread out. Multi-team rides and other events are the time to meet people from other areas. I’m also volunteering to help with team assignments because i know this is a PITA.
    I believe that last year, we had teams based on locality for those who chose to be on them. It is Sunyata's call whether to do that this year. (I suspect the likelihood will be increased if you offer to help her.)

I have mixed feelings about this. It knocks out some of the competitions that we used to do. (For example, ones that involve crossing all the bridges between DC and NOVA put a team based in Gaithersburg at a disadvantage.) And I always used to enjoy getting to meet people whom I would be less likely to run into on the CCT. However, again, it is Sunyata's call. Can you two please get in touch with her, and let me know the resolution, quickly so that I can modify the form if needed?

14. Likes jrenaut, josh, Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to note about local teams - my experience is that it puts DC teams at a disadvantage. Our team tended to be better than average at getting out for a quick ride on a crappy day, but we didn't get anywhere close to the mileage of the people with 15-20 mile commutes. On a solid team I should be maybe 5th place but I lead my team in miles. My experience may not reflect everyone's, but will not be doing a local team again.

16. Likes wheels&wings, El Swift liked this post