Thread: Video and notes from the dedication of the Anacostia River trail extension in MD

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Video and notes from the dedication of the Anacostia River trail extension in MD

Yes, that’s NPS director Jarvis who I nearly bumped into looking at the map at 4:08 and that’s mayor Gray on the CaBi with a smile on his face at 8:57. Had a chance to briefly mention the WB&A to County Exec Baker.

Here’s the DOI press release (which was the main item in the press packets): http://www.doi.gov/news/pressrelease...y-and-Park.cfm

Here were my notes from the speeches (not fact checked like real journalism or anything…):

Prince George’s county executive Rushern Baker III hosted the event with Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar. Secretary Salazar spoke of the tremendous environmental improvements along the river. Secretary LaHood called for an end to the defeatism about doing great things in the U.S. and called the restoration of the Anacostia a “great example of the lasting benefits transportation projects can bring to a community by connecting people to jobs and schools, encouraging economic development, and protecting the environment.” DC mayor Vincent Gray commented on his desire for continuous bike route connections throughout the city, and made special mention of the Anacostia River trails’ potential to help integrate the neighborhoods east of the river with the rest of the city. He and County Executive Baker commented on the trails’ potential to allow DC residents and Prince George’s county residents to get back and forth across the border for jobs and recreation. Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley spoke of using environmental and transport vision to unite communities throughout the region, and announced a $10 million dollar program to connect trails in the state, and a $1 million program specifically to connect trails in Maryland with the Anacostia Riverwalk trails. Senator Cardin spoke of the tremendous progress in the port towns surrounding the Bladensburg park, and of need to continue great accomplishments like the environmental and recreational improvements along the river. He strongly defended the environmental and Transportation Enhancements funding used on the Anacostia River project.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is one long boardwalk! Glad to see so many cyclists were there even though the event was held during the middle of a workday.

Thanks for the video.