Likes Likes:  78
Dislikes Dislikes:  9
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amazon HQ2 - impact on cycling in the area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    The beginning of the video shows a heavy four-engine jet taking off from DCA. No heavy jets can take off from DCA's short runways, plus they'd probably violate noise limits. On the upside, I saw at least two bicycle shops in the video.
    The way some of the articles discussing the Amazon announcement read, you'd think they've already begun lengthening the runways

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    0:43 of the utopian video on that page features an off-screen collision between a car and a bicycle taking the lane down Crystal Drive.
    Give that cyclist some credit, they're doing a perfect trackstand with no motion or wobbling whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    While I wouldn't take the video too literally, the animators neglected to include any of the the existing bike lanes! The cyclists on 15th St. (1:34) are riding in a traffic lane of what has become a three lane street, and the protected lane in front of the WTFCC Whole Foods is gone (2:15). Plus, they're flying a delivery drone within the FAA no drone zone around the airport & DC (1:21).
    +1000 on noticing the blatant FAA drone violation. Also, what happened to all of the protected bike lanes?

Other interesting things noticed (I'm really sleepy, so pedantry will run wild):
    • No Metro buses (especially Metroway which runs on Crystal Dr) or stations shown
    • No CaBi's or bike racks seem to be there
    • At 0:12, this isn't New York City, so why are there so many yellow cabs here?
    • At 0:25, 3 cars heading southbound go straight from the left turn only lane
    • Also at 0:25, everyone on Crystal Dr is running the red at 20th St (look where the stoplight is, how could anyone on Crystal Dr see it?)
    • At 0:43, SB driver driving in the striped median
    • 0:47-0:54, world's longest yellow light (over 7 seconds, it might still be yellow!)
    • Good detail work on having the Carlyle street lights and the curved Metro entrances
    • At 2:32, that car-free public space looks really nice
    • At 3:01, building at lower right corner of screen has its solar panels facing the wrong way (facing east, should be south)
    • National Landing is a dumb name

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    [*]National Landing is a dumb name[/LIST]
    Is Crystal City really better? You know, there was a time when Crystal City wasn't Crystal City and then some development project decided that it needed a new name.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobco, great catches. Some poor animator with a limited budget at an A&E firm made this thing to show the concept and now we're nitpicking it to pieces.

One thing that's probably accurate - the preponderance of luxury cars. I noticed Porsches (Macan and Panamera), Range Rovers, Audis (A6 and R8), Lexus, BMWs, at least two Aston Martins, a Maserati, Mercedes, some exotic sports cars I couldn't identify, Jaguars, and for the eco-minded, a Chevy Bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

• Also at 0:25, everyone on Crystal Dr is running the red at 20th St (look where the stoplight is, how could anyone on Crystal Dr see it?)
    Are you saying this is an inaccurate depiction of Washington-area drivers (insufficient resolution to determine if cars had MD War of 1812 plates)?

6. Likes bobco85, streetsmarts, kwarkentien liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Crystal City and National Landing are dumb names. Return it to its original name: Jackson City.

8. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give that cyclist some credit, they're doing a perfect trackstand with no motion or wobbling whatsoever!

+1000 on noticing the blatant FAA drone violation. Also, what happened to all of the protected bike lanes?

Other interesting things noticed (I'm really sleepy, so pedantry will run wild):
    • No Metro buses (especially Metroway which runs on Crystal Dr) or stations shown
    • No CaBi's or bike racks seem to be there
    • At 0:12, this isn't New York City, so why are there so many yellow cabs here?
    • 0:47-0:54, world's longest yellow light (over 7 seconds, it might still be yellow!)
    • Good detail work on having the Carlyle street lights and the curved Metro entrances
    • At 2:32, that car-free public space looks really nice
    • At 3:01, building at lower right corner of screen has its solar panels facing the wrong way (facing east, should be south)
    • National Landing is a dumb name
    Well I can nit-pick too. I was looking for familiar names (besides the blatantly obvious Whole Foods) and feeling like my city was gone. Where were Spike Mendelsohn's two restaurants? No Jaleo? No Commonwealth Joes?
    Last edited by Starduster; 11-13-2018 at 08:25 PM.

10. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Bobco, great catches. Some poor animator with a limited budget at an A&E firm made this thing to show the concept and now we're nitpicking it to pieces.

One thing that's probably accurate - the preponderance of luxury cars. I noticed Porsches (Macan and Panamera), Range Rovers, Audis (A6 and R8), Lexus, BMWs, at least two Aston Martins, a Maserati, Mercedes, some exotic sports cars I couldn't identify, Jaguars, and for the eco-minded, a Chevy Bolt.
    Not to mention, they crossed Route 1 like it wasn't even there! (Behold the invisible overpass!)
    Last edited by Starduster; 11-13-2018 at 09:08 PM.

12. Likes Steve O, chris_s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    ...from the corner of S Glebe and W Glebe, where S Glebe is to the north
    I always assumed that was the center of the universe, where time and space and reason have no meaning.

14. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I always assumed that was the center of the universe, where time and space and reason have no meaning.
    And you would be absolutely correct.