Likes Likes:  78
Dislikes Dislikes:  9
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon HQ2 - impact on cycling in the area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Gee, look, there's already a National Landing web site!
    0:43 of the utopian video on that page features an off-screen collision between a car and a bicycle taking the lane down Crystal Drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    0:43 of the utopian video on that page features an off-screen collision between a car and a bicycle taking the lane down Crystal Drive.
    While I wouldn't take the video too literally, the animators neglected to include any of the the existing bike lanes! The cyclists on 15th St. (1:34) are riding in a traffic lane of what has become a three lane street, and the protected lane in front of the WTFCC Whole Foods is gone (2:15). Plus, they're flying a delivery drone within the FAA no drone zone around the airport & DC (1:21).

3. Likes bobco85, Steve O, Starduster, kwarkentien liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This appears to be what the Commonwealth promises to fund directly as part of the deal (and yeah, a lot of people in the City are breathing a sigh of relief about the metro entrance, though that may be a narrow take on this whole thing)

I guess, the DCA bridge aside, the Commonwealth is not getting into the local bike planning or funding. They are doing the larger ticket items (though nothing here about Long Bridge and VRE).

Arlington and Alexandria will have to address local bike improvements. To get involved in the discussions for Alexandria, I suggest following BPAC - come to our monthy meetings, get on our email lists, follow our FB page and join our FB group - look at #alexandriaBPAC on twitter.

For Arlington, may I take this opportunity to suggest that creating a bypass for the 4MRT either over or under Shirlington Road is more urgent than ever?
    Arlington is updating it's bike plan, and we'll need to make sure we've thought hard about Crystal City/Pentagon City. That FMR route under Shirlington Road, and the Eads St alternative to the MVT are very important. I think making DCA super-bike-friendly would be great for all: better bike parking (secure, covered, options to leave your helmet, etc), more clear connection to the MVT, space for bikes on the new bridge from CC, a bike room ala SEATAC.

Also, I think it's worth thinking about ways to improve the MVT. I suspect the issue is money, so who will pay for it? Would Amazon if it became got some naming rights or something?

5. Likes Starduster liked this post
    lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Arlington is updating it's bike plan, and we'll need to make sure we've thought hard about Crystal City/Pentagon City. That FMR route under Shirlington Road, and the Eads St alternative to the MVT are very important. I think making DCA super-bike-friendly would be great for all: better bike parking (secure, covered, options to leave your helmet, etc), more clear connection to the MVT, space for bikes on the new bridge from CC, a bike room ala SEATAC.

Also, I think it's worth thinking about ways to improve the MVT. I suspect the issue is money, so who will pay for it? Would Amazon if it became got some naming rights or something?
    I suspect most of what y'all will focus on, and what we will focus on too, are recent "serious" asks that should be accelerated.

But thinking outside the box a bit, time to revive the Commonwealth-Eads bridge? A perfect symbol of overcoming "finite boundaries"?

7. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I miss the plug for the new bike-accessible CSX/Long Bridge span across the Potomac? Would certainly help the cyclists from the "Baseball District" get to DCA. Keep beating the drum, folks.

9. Likes streetsmarts, Starduster, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I wouldn't take the video too literally, the animators neglected to include any of the the existing bike lanes! The cyclists on 15th St. (1:34) are riding in a traffic lane of what has become a three lane street, and the protected lane in front of the WTFCC Whole Foods is gone (2:15). Plus, they're flying a delivery drone within the FAA no drone zone around the airport & DC (1:21).
    The beginning of the video shows a heavy four-engine jet taking off from DCA. No heavy jets can take off from DCA's short runways, plus they'd probably violate noise limits. On the upside, I saw at least two bicycle shops in the video.

11. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Connectivity - it means biking in your suit, and riding with your helmet in your basket. Or something. #Failedatthiswholeadvertisingmarketingthing

https://hqnova.com/connectivity.html

Post Thanks / Like

Also

500 miles of bike lanes, shared bike routes, and shared use paths, expected to double by 2040

Now can we stop ragging on the planners for adding miles of mediocre door zone bike lanes, allegedly to just get the number of miles up? When its landed us a class A1 economic opportunity! Hail to thee southbound Crystal Drive lane, you kept us out of war!

14. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Also

500 miles of bike lanes, shared bike routes, and shared use paths, expected to double by 2040
    My hope is that this extends to Fairfax County. The best part of my commute to the Pentagon is when I reach Potomac Yards and then go through Crystal City and Pentagon City. Time for FFX County to catch up to Arlington and Alexandria.

16. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee, look, there's already a National Landing web site!"
    So. Many. Names.

Gonna need a map with overlays or something. I feel like I could stand on a street corner and legitimately be in numerous places at once. Arlington should stay out of the naming business (she says, from the corner of S Glebe and W Glebe, where S Glebe is to the north), historically they suck at it.