Likes Likes:  78
Dislikes Dislikes:  9
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon HQ2 - impact on cycling in the area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazon HQ2 - impact on cycling in the area?

From the WP article this AM:

"Compared with other large corporations, Amazon employees are less likely to commute by car, as about 55 percent either walk, bike or take public transit, according to a survey the company did of its Seattle workforce. The company purchases transit cards for employees and is building a dedicated cycle track to separate bikes from cars near its Seattle buildings."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.f208015b70d8

2. Likes CBGanimal, wheels&wings, Steve O, adrian liked this post
    Dislikes wheels&wings disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just reading that! Sounds good on paper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it will certainly keep those two housing markets hot. Good for selling (or renting) our Arlington house, bad for renting in LIC. Hoboken anyone?

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not again! Sorry. I like your post, Accordioneur...I don't dislike it, it's just this darn hover-click problem! (And now, no way to erase.)

7. Likes lordofthemark, dasgeh liked this post
    Dislikes lordofthemark, accordioneur, LhasaCM disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Not again! Sorry. I like your post, Accordioneur...I don't dislike it, it's just this darn hover-click problem! (And now, no way to erase.)
    The forum needs 2 buttons: un-dislike and Elite.

9. Dislikes lordofthemark disliked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Today was the last Crystal City Coffee Club. Only Erin and I were there (the other Ken did not have the patience to wait for us )

Next week - National Landing Coffee Club. Or National Landing Coffee Club at Crystal City Water Park (despite the winter indoor location) .

Never mind - looks like Crystal City will retain it's identity as PART of National Landing, which will also include Potomac Yard and Pentagon City (but the latter was already going to be part of CC BID, no?) But leaving this up there, because.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 11-13-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Five Transportation Projects are listed in the Amazon/Virginia agreement document https://d39w7f4ix9f5s9.cloudfront.ne...-agreement.pdf:
    (1) Crystal City East Metro Entrance; (2) Potomac Yard Southwest Metro Entrance; (3) opportunities to improve safety, accessibility, and the pedestrian experience crossing Rt. 1; (4) a connector bridge from National Landing (Crystal City) to Reagan National Airport (DCA) at a location that is mutually agreeable to the property owners; and (5) Pentagon City/Crystal City/Potomac Yard transit expansion.

12. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee, look, there's already a National Landing web site!

"Unparalleled Connectivity

National Landing has access to an extensive interconnected network of mass transit, airports, commuter rail, roads, bike lanes and walking trails:

Three Metro stations and a station on the Virginia Railway Express commuter line

Easy access via I-395, Routes 1 and 110, and George Washington Parkway

Direct connections to nearly 100 cities from neighboring Reagan National Airport plus two other international airports within 36 miles from National Landing

Multiple bike lanes and paths, plus access to Capital Bikeshare
    "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Please stop counter-anti-non-un-contra-disliking my posts.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Five Transportation Projects are listed in the Amazon/Virginia agreement document https://d39w7f4ix9f5s9.cloudfront.ne...-agreement.pdf:
    (1) Crystal City East Metro Entrance; (2) Potomac Yard Southwest Metro Entrance; (3) opportunities to improve safety, accessibility, and the pedestrian experience crossing Rt. 1; (4) a connector bridge from National Landing (Crystal City) to Reagan National Airport (DCA) at a location that is mutually agreeable to the property owners; and (5) Pentagon City/Crystal City/Potomac Yard transit expansion.
    This appears to be what the Commonwealth promises to fund directly as part of the deal (and yeah, a lot of people in the City are breathing a sigh of relief about the metro entrance, though that may be a narrow take on this whole thing)

I guess, the DCA bridge aside, the Commonwealth is not getting into the local bike planning or funding. They are doing the larger ticket items (though nothing here about Long Bridge and VRE).

Arlington and Alexandria will have to address local bike improvements. To get involved in the discussions for Alexandria, I suggest following BPAC - come to our monthy meetings, get on our email lists, follow our FB page and join our FB group - look at #alexandriaBPAC on twitter.

For Arlington, may I take this opportunity to suggest that creating a bypass for the 4MRT either over or under Shirlington Road is more urgent than ever?

16. Likes Dewey, buschwacker, kwarkentien liked this post