Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Needed: Bike Case for Air Travel

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't expect to use it beyond this tour, I would probably just start the search for a second-hand bike there and selling (or donating) it when you leave.

2. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Thanks guys! The more I dig into it, the more complex the situation is becoming. United's bike shipping policies aren't terrible (if its >50 lbs no extra "bike" fee) however, it looks like there is a restriction imposed by Brasil for the Sao Paulo (and Rio) airport against oversized baggage... I'm going to have to make a phone call or two.

I'd looked into the BikeFlights, but their quote was something akin to the cost of a tricked-out Brompton. Brazil further complicates things by having an extremely closed economy that makes imported goods (like bikes and bike parts!) stupid expensive so buying a bike there might be similar in cost to a tricked-out case. If I could get the plane to take a case, it would have been a good investment since I'll have to do this a minimum of every-other-year, but no dice.

Sooooo... any thoughts on folding bikes? ^_~
    I love my Brompton, but it's not a great long distance bike, at least for me. It feels like too much resistance compared to a larger wheeled bike. The longest ride I've done on mine is about 15 miles for a work commute. You'll get to where you want, just slower.

I don't have a case for it, but I've put directly in the overhead bin without any wrapping on a Southwest flight from Charleston, SC to BWI. (The BWI guys wouldn't let me do the same on the flight down to Charleston, but they did let me bring it down the runway like a stroller.)

Brompton in Overhead Bins by ricky d, on Flickr

Someone has a new Brompton and case on eBay for what looks to be an unbelievable price. If it's real, I'd jump on it:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BROMPTON-S-...6KDL:rk:3:pf:0

Name:  bromptonebay.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  19.1 KB

4. Likes Kitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a top-end hard-case Thule that I bought (~ $400) used off of Craigslist a few years ago that has served me well crossing the Atlantic with carbon-fiber framed bikes (see pic below). My UK housemate also used it to transport a steel framed touring bike to Sweden with great results.

But it is bulky, overweight limits even carrying carbon bikes, and airlines are all over the map on charges. WOW Air fly it for free across the Atlantic. KLM charged me $225 to bring it back. Go figure!!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man oh man, the plot thickens! I wrote to the shipping maven at post and was warned NOT to attempt shipping it via a private service. It will just stuck by customs and they will get pissed and charge me an arm and a leg to get it back! Glad I got that warning...

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    If the airport/airline is strict on the oversized baggage limits, then you're most likely restricted to a folding bike with 16 inch wheels like a Brompton or getting a specially-made piece of luggage or getting creative...

One extreme option to minimize spending money on new stuff but maximize workload: if you have a small enough frame (which in of itself is a bit of a longshot), you theoretically could disassemble your bike so that the frame fits into a box/case that is just within the size limit, have a second box/case for the wheels, use available space in either for the parts you took off, and travel with it that way.
    Thanks for the dimensions info for the wheels. That's really helpful.
    As for the disassembly, I'm looking into that option tomorrow morning. I've just gotten the dimensions for the Unattended Air Baggage shipment (we're alotted one UAB for a portion of our stuff that follows us a few weeks later after arriving in-country). I'm going to see if there's any hope of shoving Kali in there...

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    So the State Department provides you no assistance with moving your personal possessions to your post?
    They do, but the main solution is it goes on a ship and you'll get your stuff in 6 months. I'm just trying to find a way to not be bike-less for that long... They also will ship some of the more urgent things by air, but that comes with very strict size restrictions. This is ostensibly to save you, the tax-payer, money.

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    If you don't expect to use it beyond this tour, I would probably just start the search for a second-hand bike there and selling (or donating) it when you leave.
    That's my last resort. So far though the online searches haven't been promising. A basic-basic commuter is going used for the cost of a cheap folder new. The tariffs are real and have the market pretty skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I don't have a case for it, but I've put directly in the overhead bin without any wrapping on a Southwest flight from Charleston, SC to BWI. (The BWI guys wouldn't let me do the same on the flight down to Charleston, but they did let me bring it down the runway like a stroller.)
    I love that photo so much right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I use a top-end hard-case Thule that I bought (~ $400) used off of Craigslist a few years ago that has served me well crossing the Atlantic with carbon-fiber framed bikes (see pic below). My UK housemate also used it to transport a steel framed touring bike to Sweden with great results.
    But it is bulky, overweight limits even carrying carbon bikes, and airlines are all over the map on charges. WOW Air fly it for free across the Atlantic. KLM charged me $225 to bring it back. Go figure!!
    That is exactly what I had been hoping to invest in, but it sounds like this post, that's a no-go. Alas.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop by (or call) College Park Bicycles and see what used Bike Fridays they have. Those will fold up into a normal sized suitcase. Also check bikes@vienna. One of my riding partners bought a Dahon here in Germany to take in his tiny VW Polo "trunk" and has been happy with it. Much less expensive than a Bike Friday or a Brompton. Also look at a Tern.