Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Kitty Bikes Brazil (...probably)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kitty Bikes Brazil (...probably)

Hello all!

I'm sure many of you have noticed that my activity on the forums and in general has been way down the past couple of months. This is because in May I was offered a limited-time appointment to the Foreign Service, and have been in training ever sense.

We're now getting toward the end of that, and its time that I announce my (expected*) impending departure. I have been assigned to Sao Paulo, Brazil for 2 years. If everything goes according to plan*, our ship-out date is December 19th.

This will not be a goodbye, but a "see you later." After this, and if/when I make it into the career service, DC/Arlington will be our home base. Like the Consular Rider, Boomer, and others, I'll be back from time to time--for some stretches longer than others.

Hopefully I'll be able to see folks here and there between now and mid-December. With any luck, I'll be able to ride once I'm there and you'll see me on Strava.
    (I really need folks' ideas on how to get my bike down there though)

Anyhoo, that's it for now. I'll update this thread with any farewell rides or "last chance to see me" opportunities, but until then, I'm on the training treadmill.

(*I hedge with expected/probably because there is still a chance that I will be offered a slot in the career Foreign Service, which could mean pushing things back another couple of months. Who knows? \_(ツ)_/)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I hear that Brasil is a beautiful country and has some pretty epic cycling.

If you want some first hand information, I recommend visiting Dancing Mind yoga in Falls Church and chatting with Paula, the owner. She is from Brasil and just took her son back for a visit this past summer.

As for getting your bike there: Bike Flights is probably your best bet. If you need someone to ship it once you are settled, let me know.

3. Likes Erin Potter, Kitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might still be time to ride Megabeth's Hains Point 100 one more time...

5. Likes Kitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Parabens! I've ridden in SP a few times on the weekends when I was down there for work the past couple of years. There's a pretty decent networks of bike trails. Apparently, a former mayor made a big push several years ago to encourage biking and improve the infrastructure. Some of that push got rolled back by subsequent leadership, but there still seems to be support for maintaining the trails that are there. On Sundays, a number of the major roads (or lanes on roads) are shut down exclusively for cycling, which is sweet. I haven't ridden there during commute times, so I'm not sure how that goes.

Theft is a big problem in SP and most of Brazil, so you might want to think about just buying a bike on the cheap down there. Certainly for running errands or getting around town, I'd be inclined to use a beater that you wouldn't mind losing. A couple of the banks sponsor bikeshares, so that's an option too for short trips.

If you're interested in some restaurant or other recommendations, contact me offline. I know a few of the folks at the embassy and can give you some contacts there too.

Boa sorte!

7. Likes Steve O, Kitty liked this post