Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bedding brakes in for a commuter: why bother?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I think I use the same technique: accelerate to 15-18mph then brake smoothly back down to walking speed and do that a dozen or so times.
    Thanks. And I just noticed on my old invoice that my rotor is an RT66, which should work with and pads.

Time to clean, sand, and try again...

Post Thanks / Like

Status update: rotors matter!

Cleaning the rotor with alcohol only bought me a little time - the squealing returned. So I tried cleaning the rotor and installing new pads. I think the old/original pads might be metallic: all the way through, their color is dark, like black coffee, while the new, organic pads are the color of pate.

Within a few urban miles, I heard awful pinging sounds under moderately hard braking, as of something were plucking spokes. Six pings per wheel revolution. Why? The Shimano RT66 rotor's brake track is a few mm narrower than, say, a SRAM Clean Sweep G2 that I had purchased for a new wheel. Here's a photo of the old Shimano rotor laying on a SRAM rotor; you can clearly see on the Shimano arms that the SRAM pads extended closer to the hub than did the brake track. Six times per wheel revolution, the bottom of the pads hit a rotor arm. Ping ping ping. I think this is also evidence that the original pads were not organic, but some harder compound that didn't compress as much.

Name:  83B97A67-4119-4135-A1A7-D0E7ADD1DA76.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  10.3 KB

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, with the SRAM rotor in place, cleaned well, and a brand new set of organic pads. If this sucks badly I might just go back to the front canti brake! 😉