Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bedding brakes in for a commuter: why bother?

Post Thanks / Like

Default bedding brakes in for a commuter: why bother?

A year and a half ago I bought my daughter a bike with mechanical disks online. Assembled it, adjusted the brakes, and that's it -- no attempt to break anything in. It's been fine.

This year I swapped the fork on my canti-equipped commuter bike so it has a mechanical disc brake up front. I'd read a bunch about the importance of bedding in brakes, so I tried Art's Cyclery's method -- 10-20 times of starting around 15-20mph and slowly decreasing speed to 3-4 mph (walking speed). Trouble is, toward the end, I heard a bit of squealing each time. Did I do this wrong? Do I need to clean my rotor and sand my pads and start all over? Is there really any point in bedding in brakes for an on-road bike (assuming I can avoid panic stops for the first week)?

FWIW the calipers are Avid BB 7 Road S, with the stock steel-backed organic pads, using Shimano SM-RT56 rotors. I'm pretty sure I didn't touch the rotor or pads. I did not bother cleaning the rotors (rotor, pads, caliper are brand new).

Thanks,

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I never remember to bed in my brakes when I get new pads and I have never had a problem. But... all my disc brakes are hydraulic. Not sure if that makes much difference, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I bedded in BB7s the fist time, but have not since, for those or Shimano hydraulics. I just let the first ride be the bedding in and haven't noticed a difference. I suppose that as long as the levers don't immediately start going all the way in to the handlebars it's okay, and of course if one brake does, you still have the other.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Sunyata. Many, many pad replacements without bedding, but all hydraulic (about half Tektros, the rest a mix).

Post Thanks / Like

I've replaced the pads on BB7s many times, and didn't know bedding was a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar noisy experience with new pads and rotors on used BB7s this weekend. I didn't touch the rotor faces while installing, but I didn't degrease them either. Probably should have. Will try that before testing again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me the whole pad bedding recommendation is a way to get you to practice some panic stops in a non-panic situation to: (1) make sure everything is still working correctly after the installation (e.g., no misplaced lubricant) and (2) give you advance warning of any change in braking characteristics caused by the new equipment.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally bed in new pads. I don't think that there is a noticeable performance difference, but bedding them in leaves me confident that my brakes will stop the way I expect them to. (Brake strength improves noticeably after a bunch of those bedding in slow-downs.)

As for the squealing .... I would guess a contaminated rotor, though I have had some pads (jagwire scintered come to mind) that are just noisy pads. I switched back to organic on my commuter so I don't scare peds when it is wet out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I generally bed in new pads.
    What's your preferred technique?

As for the squealing .... I would guess a contaminated rotor, though I have had some pads (jagwire scintered come to mind) that are just noisy pads. I switched back to organic on my commuter so I don't scare peds when it is wet out.
    Yeah, I've rubbed the rotor down with isopropyl alcohol, which helped only for a bit. I think I might pull and lightly sand the pads next. Supposedly the brakes ship with organic pads, but I wonder if they're more metallic than my resin-only Shimano rotor likes.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    What's your preferred technique?
    I think I use the same technique: accelerate to 15-18mph then brake smoothly back down to walking speed and do that a dozen or so times.

11. Likes Starduster liked this post