Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day Ride - November 11th

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Veterans Day Ride - November 11th

I'm hosting a Veteran's Day themed bike ride on Sunday, November 11th. This year is the 100th Anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War I (signed at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month). I'll share a couple of tidbits of information at each stop about the Memorial. I've included two stops that many people probably haven't been to before (including one I haven't visited). Pace will be casual. The ride should take 2:30 hours depending on how much people want to walk around and take pictures. There's multiple restrooms on the route.

Gather: Velo Cafe (730 Maine Ave in DC) starting at 10:30 - They have coffee and pastries
    Roll out at 11 in honor of the signing of the Armistice

Planned stops:
    American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial
    WWII Memorial
    DC War Memorial
    Korean War Memorial
    Navy - Merchant Marine Memorial
    Air Force Memorial
    Marine Corps Memorial

If anyone wants to grab lunch afterwards, we'll pick a place at the end of the ride. Hope to see you guys there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018 Veterans Day.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	18546

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Rolling out on the 11th month, 11th day, 11th hour.

Perfect.

Sunday...I might be able to make this one.

3. Likes Judd, streetsmarts liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand Foch
    This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years.
    Iím in! (maybe not if the weather is shit)

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Iím in! (maybe not if the weather is shit)
    Current forecast is a high of 50 and sunny. I hope it holds. I was at the Marine Corps Memorial this morning and wanted to blurt out random trivia about it that none of the five year olds that I was with would be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes LhasaCM, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Current forecast is a high of 50 and sunny. I hope it holds. I was at the Marine Corps Memorial this morning and wanted to blurt out random trivia about it that none of the five year olds that I was with would be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It just might. Rebecca Rusch's ride on the 10th may have weather to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't make it (wedding anniversary), but you may want to consider including the site of the future WWI Memorial at Pershing Park, the DC War Memorial and you'll essentially roll by/around the Women's Memorial in ANC.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on going. Thanks for organizing.
    Last edited by Bob James; 11-04-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. Bummed I'll miss it as I'll be out of town

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    I can't make it (wedding anniversary), but you may want to consider including the site of the future WWI Memorial at Pershing Park, the DC War Memorial and you'll essentially roll by/around the Women's Memorial in ANC.
    Happy Anniversary! All good suggestions.

I thought about Pershing Park and the future WWI memorial since it came up while researching. There's some interesting history about how and why things are built or not built in certain places. I'll probably hit on this at the Air Force Memorial because there was a lot of wrangling over the site for it including a lawsuit.

We're stopping off at the DC War Memorial, which is informally referred to as the World War I Memorial.

I also thought about the Women's Memorial at ANC, but the last time I went to ANC on Veteran's Day it was insanely busy. I also thought about the ANC as a way to work in the Army since we're hitting sites for the Navy, Air Force and Marines. The Memorial Bridge Detour is also a death trap and I'd like to keep my record of not killing anyone on a group ride going.

If turn out is good for this ride and people enjoy it, I'll likely do it again and try to work in ANC and Pershing Park. I'm planning on doing a President's Day Ride again since the past two were well attended. I think the Lincoln theme worked well last year and I've preliminarily thought about a George Washington theme for 2019.

13. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Happy Anniversary! All good suggestions.

I also thought about the ANC as a way to work in the Army since we're hitting sites for the Navy, Air Force and Marines. The Memorial Bridge Detour is also a death trap and I'd like to keep my record of not killing anyone on a group ride going.
    If you want an Army memorial, you could swing by the Second Division Memorial in Presidentís Park at 17th and Constitution.

From the National Park Service

This memorial honors the 17,660 dead who served. in the Second Division of the United States Army. It was originally built to commemorate the division's casualties in World War I and was dedicated on July 18, 1936. Later, two wings were dedicated on June 20, 1962, with significant battles of World War II inscribed on the west and of the Korean War on the east.

This granite shaft, built in the form of a great open doorway, has two wreaths carved in relief flanking the entrance.

Guarding the gateway is an 18-foot-tall flaming sword, symbolically blocking the German advance to Paris. The Second Division's insignia, an Indian head within a star, is embossed on the sword's handle (or hilt).

15. Likes Judd liked this post