Likes Likes:  73
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike lane markings on Pershing from Washington to Arlington Blvd

Post Thanks / Like

Rode this yesterday. They're about what I expected. The trash cans are just going to be a problem despite whatever the residents do since the collection folks just dump them wherever. This was afternoon, post pickup, and there was a cluster of half a dozen at the entrance to an apartment complex or something. It's just infra for slower, more careful riding, like on Quincy or Maine, where I often just still take the lane.

Speaking of Quincy, I did find this doozy there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181025_171108.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	18535
    [I swear I was still upright when I took that...]

You could see where it had been moved from off to the side, where it had been protecting the lane, to right in the middle of the lane. Resistance to the resistance?

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post

Speaking of Quincy, I did find this doozy there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181025_171108.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	18535
    Did you lumberjack it back?

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody did. It was not in the bike lane this morning.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hereís the background on the planter in the bike lane.

https://twitter.com/blacknell/status...896379393?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes huskerdont, dasgeh, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not. As you can tell from the pic, it was yuuge and I didn't want to do my back in again. Check Strava to see where Judd went last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Here’s the background on the planter in the bike lane.

https://twitter.com/blacknell/status...896379393?s=21

Thank you for that background. Funny thing is, if you look at my pic way at the top, you see a similar truck parked where the bike lane feeds back into the Quincy at the intersection. #justparkwhereverthefuckwewant

11. Likes Steve O, Brendan von Buckingham liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Trashcans are just something residents need to figure out. I have a friend who lives on the Veitch PBL and she said it took 2-3 trash days for folks to get used to the change.
    \

On the east side of King between Cedar and Janneys the residents put their trash bins in the bike lane on Tuesday nights, that was part of the deal when the bike lanes were installed, and you just have to remember the schedule and plan your route accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    The 5 block stretch of Pershing from Washington Boulevard to Arlington Boulevard has been restriped for bike lanes at the curb and a buffer of parked cars. This is the sort of infrastructure that does not improve cycling conditions. This stretch of roadway was generously wide with ample room for a median, cars, bikes, a door-zone and parked cars. Now cyclists are encouraged to take a narrow lane full of gutter clutter that zig-zags and peek-a-boos with drivers at multiple curb cuts and driveways. And the worst part of this section of roadway (crossing Arlington Boulevard westbound from the bus shelter corner) is still unimproved.
    Agree! Same on Wilson Blvd climbing up the hill into Courthouse. No room to maneuver now when someone opens a passenger side door. Almost got hit several times since the new installation as those doors can completely block the path. Drivers have also started parking partially into the bike lane. J-walking pedestrians are also difficult to see and reaction time for hard braking is reduced with no room to maneuver around. Good intentions for sure with the new design but it was not carefully thought out. The design also forces you to ride through debris that the County does not clean up, increasing the risk of flats. I'm taking other routes now that decrease the probability of flats and car doors smacking me down.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite thing about biking is being ticked off because the county wonít put in protected bike lanes and also being ticked off when they put in protected bike lanes.

15. Likes LhasaCM, lordofthemark, Tania liked this post
    Dislikes lordofthemark disliked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMariner View Post
    Agree! Same on Wilson Blvd climbing up the hill into Courthouse. No room to maneuver now when someone opens a passenger side door. Almost got hit several times since the new installation as those doors can completely block the path. Drivers have also started parking partially into the bike lane. J-walking pedestrians are also difficult to see and reaction time for hard braking is reduced with no room to maneuver around. Good intentions for sure with the new design but it was not carefully thought out. The design also forces you to ride through debris that the County does not clean up, increasing the risk of flats. I'm taking other routes now that decrease the probability of flats and car doors smacking me down.
    If a passenger side door can open in the bike lane, either the buffer area is too narrow, or the cars are parking incorrectly. I don't head through there daily, but if those who do could report back, we can pass the note along to staff. Both are fixable. FWIW, I LOVE the PBL on Veitch. More parents are biking kids to school at Key because of it.

17. Likes lordofthemark liked this post