Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Trails, Jumps, and Riders in DC Area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trails, Jumps, and Riders in DC Area

This post is to consolidate the off-road biking community within the WABA forum space, the riders, the trails, and those that build and maintain them. Why? For being the metropolitan area with the second highest ratio of parks to overall land area in the nation, there is a surprising lack of info on local dirt trails, jumps, and pump tracks within biking distance of DC.

The old wisdom of trail riders is to never let the public know where your secret stash is because then they get ruined, but if that means I have to do a road trip every time I want to hit some jumps then the meaning is lost. I would rather be riding jumps and pump track every day than having to wait for weekends, and only if the weather is good. I propose we build a network of dedicated riders that will build something new and grow the community of riders that use bikes for more than car-free commuting and leisurely pedals through the park, then maybe the rest of WABA will decide they want in on the fun

So here's the deal, I'm going to list some well-known spots that are not secret. That being said, there are a few ground rules:
    1) Be prepared to assist in the digging/maintenance of trails if you ride them,
    2) introduce yourself to the other riders at the trails (don't be shy, everyone is there to have fun!),
    3) pick up after yourself, and
    4) never give the location of a secret spot PUBLICLY without permission of the person that built them (usually a sponsored or professional rider).

PLACES TO RIDE:
    495 Dirt Jumps, Fairfax, VA (20-30 minutes from DC) - Intermediate-Expert dirt jumps, big gaps, steep lips
    Germantown Pump Track, Germantown, MD (45 minutes from DC) - Beginner/Intermediate tabletop jumps, beginner pump track
    Rockburn Skills Park, Elkridge, MD (45 minutes from DC) - Intermediate/Advanced tabletop jumps, step ups, intermediate/advanced pump track
    Bryce Resort, Brasye, VA (2 hours from DC) - downhill MTB - Intermediate/Advanced tabletop jumps

Anyone know where to build a pump-track within DC?

Feel free to contribute your own recommended trails, introduce yourself, post bikes, pics, videos, new locations, digging parties, etc.....

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an awesome mountain bike advocacy group in the DC area (it seems as though you are unaware of their existence, so...).

There are called M.O.R.E. (Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts) and are responsible for most of the trails and trail maintenance within the DMV area.

In fact, there are lots of trail work days coming up to help fix up the trails from the ridiculously wet summer/fall we have had. Three Saturdays coming up in November at Lake Fairfax, I know a few days at Rosaryville are in the works, Wednesdays at Germantown, etc.

Here ya go:
    https://www.more-mtb.org/

If you are interested in getting a pump track built in the city, I would start with getting involved with MORE and getting in touch with some land managers in DC and figuring out if there is land available for use and what would need to happen to get it developed into a pump track.

4. Likes rcannon100, dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a pump track in Richmond, too. I am no MTB expert, so I don't much more than that.

We will discuss this at November's BAC meeting (Nov. 5 7pm 2100 Clarendon Blvd). Please come.

I have some spots in Arlington in mind that seem like they would work for a pump track. -- Big Walnut Park, Woodstock Park, Stewart Park, the north end of the bridge to nowhere, are what come to mind now.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan to me. I’d like to have something local. Checking my schedule, looks to be a dark and rainy night so I will probably be there
    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    There's a pump track in Richmond, too. I am no MTB expert, so I don't much more than that.

We will discuss this at November's BAC meeting (Nov. 5 7pm 2100 Clarendon Blvd). Please come.

I have some spots in Arlington in mind that seem like they would work for a pump track. -- Big Walnut Park, Woodstock Park, Stewart Park, the north end of the bridge to nowhere, are what come to mind now.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Continuing this thread because the WABA forum appears to have significantly less spam than the MORE MTB forum.....

I attended the BAC meeting on Monday evening where there was a good turnout from the off-road community and some great ideas were exchanged (SteveO made us look official by wearing a suit too). I rode at both the Fairfax Lake facility in Reston and the Rockburn Skills Park in Ellicott, MD. I believe that Rockburn in particular is a great example of a place that offers everything a prospective mountain biker could hope for in an urbanized area. The planners and off-roaders both seemed to like the idea of a pump-track as being a small footprint investment that is also a foot-in-the-door to generate greater interest. The number one consideration in a developed area like Arlington is the availability of space and potential need for acquisition. Much of the discussion centered around parks and environmental restrictions, but my focus is primarily on space that is not currently being used, the true classic off-road spaces that may or may not have a high incidence of tents.

Fortunately, I think I found such a space in a central Arlington location that I will scout out on foot, and from satellite does not appear to interfere with anything:
    Attachment 18558
    Note: Where N Glebe Rd and Route 66 intersect in Ballston.
    Bonus: It is attached to the Custis Trail

Thoughts? I'd be happy to get digging if there is adequate drainage.
    Last edited by SpaceJockey; 11-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.

9. Likes dasgeh, Erin Potter liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for coming out to the BAC.

And to anyone interested in seeing MTB, cyclocross and pump tracks in Arlington, the time is now to comment on the Parks' Master Plan.

Instructions and talking points in this FB post

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

My offroad singletrack route in the Volkspark Niddatal got a new "jump" while I was back in Arlington.

Name:  DSC02480.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  99.4 KB