Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: As Traffic Deaths Rise, D.C. Officials Propose More Bike Lanes And Slower Speed Limit

Post Thanks / Like

I was happy to see that NYC has no-right-turn-on-red citywide unless otherwise posted. I have no idea if it's enforced enough to matter. Street design and assisted braking aside, not much matters without enforcement. You can imagine if that were the law in DC, it would be routinely ignored, with queued drivers blowing their horns at those who obeyed it, like they do now for those thoughtful enough to not run pedestrians down in crosswalks.

2. Likes creadinger liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    How many of the pedestrian/cyclist fatalities this year have been due to speed versus things like turns at intersections and running lights and such?

Note well, a collision CAUSED by something other than speed can be aggravated by speed. Also I think (no data handy) that running red lights is more common when cars are driven at higher speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Note well, a collision CAUSED by something other than speed can be aggravated by speed. Also I think (no data handy) that running red lights is more common when cars are driven at higher speeds.
    At their advocacy trainings, WABA provides some useful charts on the probability that a cyclist will be seriously injured or killed by a driver based on speed. I couldn't locate the source WABA used quickly, but ProPublica posted something similar for pedestrians: https://www.propublica.org/article/u...at-many-speeds

Consistent with the data cited by WABA , the ProPublica article mentioned, "The second main point is that once cars reach a certain speed (just above 20 mph), they rapidly become more deadly. According to Tefft's data, a person is about 70 percent more likely to be killed if they’re struck by a vehicle traveling at 30 mph versus 25 mph."

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    20 MPH is unrealistic. No one will adhere to it, even with serious enforcement. Better to enforce existing speed limits and keep people off their phones while driving.
    That's about the standard speed on small residential streets and U.S. military bases in Germany (actually 30 k/h or 18/19 mph).

7. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh, lordofthemark liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of the pedestrian/cyclist fatalities this year have been due to speed versus things like turns at intersections and running lights and such?
    Usually traffic fatalities are multifactored and speed can be one contributing factor.

Tom Hollowell was killed by a red light runner who was also speeding. Without the speed factor, he may have survived.
    Speed may have contributed in the death of Malik Habib who was killed by a charter bus on H St. At his memorial I observed multiple cars exceeding the speed limit as they came down the bridge on H St.
    It's hard to say if speed was a factor in Jeff Long's death when he was right hooked in a protected bike lane. Had the truck been going slower, perhaps he wouldn't have been hit or would have survived.
    Details were really light on the death of Carlos Sanchez-Martin who was killed riding a scooter in Dupont Circle. During his memorial at the crosswalk where he was killed I observed at least one car per light cycle making an illegal left turn which caused them to drive head on into a crosswalk where pedestrians had the right of way. I suspect this is what caused his death. Given that the driver that killed him also dragged him 60 feet before stopping with Carlos pinned underneath, I would suspect that speed was a factor.

I haven't seen many details on the pedestrians that have been killed in DC this year to see if speed was a factor.

9. Likes wheels&wings, dasgeh, lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked because I'm genuinely curious; I don't ride in the city these days but the fatal collisions that I've seen circulate this year seem to happen much more often at intersections where they are probably caused by intersection design and general inattentiveness than speed. Obviously speed makes everything worse when a collision does happen.

I've commented a few times before that I'll take a driver going 30 and paying attention over one going 20 and not any day of the week. Its really hard to enforce "pay attention to whats going on around you, idiot" though, whereas speed is relatively easy to enforce (not that we really do).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    20 MPH is unrealistic. No one will adhere to it, even with serious enforcement. Better to enforce existing speed limits and keep people off their phones while driving.
    A posted limit of 20 means enforcement at 30, which sure beats enforcing at 35.

12. Likes huskerdont, lordofthemark liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

...enforcement...

14. Likes VikingMariner, PeteD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've commented a few times before that I'll take a driver going 30 and paying attention over one going 20 and not any day of the week.
    Sure, but that isn't an option that's on the table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Exactly, the insta-ticket camera system is used only as a means of revenue for inflated DC local government. Perfect example: the tunnel under Washington Circle which has ZERO bike or pedestrian traffic, but you will get hit for $150 if you go any faster than 25mph....right after a downhill.