Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Whatever happened to Alexandria's bikeshare expansion?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Living in the world
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkingva View Post
    A new update from Alexandria city staff (via Mayor Wilson's office):



    This raises all sorts of questions, especially since July will mark the second anniversary of the city selecting eight of the 10 new locations after months of collecting the public's input.

    1) Has the city of Alexandria ever offered a public explanation for why it and VDOT have been unable to resolve their three-year-long dispute about the city's 2016 CaBi RFP and contract, its alleged noncompliance with federal requirements and what it would take to qualify it for federal funding? (VDOT's qualms don't appear to be shared by DDOT, which was part of the same 2016 RFP but keeps merrily adding new Bikeshare stations throughout D.C.) Has this ever been discussed in any public forum? If not, why not?

    2) Will VDOT really let the Alexandria "ride" the Falls Church contract? The department was not so positive about this when city staff was talking about it last summer, and since then VDOT has been insisting that the 10 new sites be subject to a federal environmental review.

    3) Is the city really proposing that once it finally acquires the new stations, it will then wait months before installing anything, until it has been nearly THREE YEARS after selecting the sites and telling the public they were coming?

    4) So when would the city begin the next round of selecting sites for future expansion? Will that also take three years?
    I suspect someone in the bowels of the bureaucracy who opposes bikeshare is "slow walking" contract negotiations, but I'm cynical that way..

  2. Likes Judd liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I suspect someone in the bowels of the bureaucracy who opposes bikeshare is "slow walking" contract negotiations, but I'm cynical that way..
    I kind of suspect that someone in the city staff may have made an honest mistake in 2016, perhaps based on bad info from VDOT or just a lack of understanding of the federal requirements, and that since then VDOT's attitude has been "No soup for you." It's just mystifying that three years later they haven't resolved it.

    Which is why I have been wondering how much the mayor, council or even traffic board members have been briefed on this. In the few public discussions that I have witnessed on this topic or been a part of, I get the impression that this is a sore subject for staff members and they would rather not talk about it. But meanwhile they're now proposing a 2020 install date.

    Seriously, the Potomac Yard metro station might be built first.
    Last edited by bkingva; 06-04-2019 at 06:25 AM.

  4. #23
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkingva View Post
    I kind of suspect that someone in the city staff may have made an honest mistake in 2016, perhaps based on bad info from VDOT or just a lack of understanding of the federal requirements, and that since then VDOT's attitude has been "No soup for you." It's just mystifying that three years later they haven't resolved it.

    Which is why I have been wondering how much the mayor, council or even traffic board members have been briefed on this. In the few public discussions that I have witnessed on this topic or been a part of, I get the impression that this is a sore subject for staff members and they would rather not talk about it. But meanwhile they're now proposing a 2020 install date.

    Seriously, the Potomac Yard metro station might be built first.
    My understanding is that it was a VDOT issue and that it is also impacting Arlington.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #24
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I suspect someone in the bowels of the bureaucracy who opposes bikeshare is "slow walking" contract negotiations, but I'm cynical that way..
    Itís unfair to malign the public servants who are working to expand Bikeshare and suggest mal intent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    My understanding is that it was a VDOT issue and that it is also impacting Arlington.
    Arlington may have been impacted because it was one of the multiple jurisdictions included in the RFP and contract that Alexandria issued in 2016, along with DC, Montgomery County and I think Fairfax County. VDOT has claimed that the RFP didn't meet federal standards, but if that were the case it seems weird that only some of the jurisdictions are being held up.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •