Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whatever happened to Alexandria's bikeshare expansion?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yule View Post

Someone involved must think they are doing a service to the city by saving money. I say they are only hurting themselves.
    This is false and unfair to the staff involved in CaBi expansion all of whom are progressive transportation planners and dedicated public servants. Of the city folks that I've interacted with in three different jurisdictions, the staff in Alexandria is by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Yule View Post
    For this reason I believe that the best way to get more core/regular users is to put more stations near where more people live. (This may sound obvious but it ought to be enunciated; there is, anyway, a camp that would propose stations only ever go in 'central business districts.) Few are willing to walk 15 minutes to get to/from a CaBi station.
    The Ped and Bike Master Plan has a rough map of planned expansions for CaBi in Alexandria. That map is is on page 56 and future expansion is planned for the transportation corridors to West Alexandria. Site selection involves public input and also involves review by the Traffic & Parking Board. The Ped and Bike Master plan can be viewed here: https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploade...lan%20WEB2.pdf

The non-technical criteria used for site selection in Alexandria are:
    Location Selection for Bikeshare Stations
    Online Interactive Crowdsourcing Map
    Developer contributions
    Community requests and comments (CallClickConnect, Emails, Community meetings)

Proximity to:
    Metrorail Stations
    Mix-use activity centers
    Existing and potential bicycle activity
    Proximity to other bikeshare stations
    Transportation Master Plan (next five years of stations)

2. Likes Yule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    This is false and unfair to the staff involved in CaBi expansion all of whom are progressive transportation planners and dedicated public servants. Of the city folks that I've interacted with in three different jurisdictions, the staff in Alexandria is by far the best.
    That is good to know. My comment could have been worded better, was not meant to accuse anyone of anything specific. The problem, as identified by the OP here, is sluggishness. What is the source of the sluggishness? If it is not a funding issue, what is it?

It is certainly not something unique to Alexandria, either. It took years to get the Gravelly Point station (up and running as of today) despite Gravelly Point being so obvious a first-rate desirable spot. Meanwhile, e-scooters dive in and are all over the place within a year (these being of questionable long-term value to me, but that's another issue altogether).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The non-technical criteria used for site selection in Alexandria are:
    Location Selection for Bikeshare Stations
    Online Interactive Crowdsourcing Map
    Developer contributions
    Community requests and comments (CallClickConnect, Emails, Community meetings)

Proximity to:
    Metrorail Stations
    Mix-use activity centers
    Existing and potential bicycle activity
    Proximity to other bikeshare stations
    Transportation Master Plan (next five years of stations)
    I certainly wasn't accusing city staff of anything nefarious, but the 11 sites approved in 2017 have presumably met all of the above criteria and still have not been installed. During my most recent conversation with staff, they could not even guarantee that any of the stations will be operating by the time the four-month Metrorail shutdown begins in May, which is a time when city residents will be in desperate need of transportation alternatives.

Arlington seems to install an equivalent number of CaBi stations every few months, so it's mystifying that Alexandria is so much slower at this. Is Virginia Tech's new campus really going into an area with no Bikeshare service?

I trust that the city employees working for Complete Streets believe in their program and are committed to its success. So where is the holdup originating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkingva View Post
    ...Is Virginia Tech's new campus really going into an area with no Bikeshare service? ...
    There is a CaBi station two blocks from the VT Innovation Campus.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, on the other side of U.S. 1. And that's the only station even remotely near that site (or the adjoining neighborhoods) without a good hike to the west, south or north.

Certainly, we will probably see more options in the area when the $1 billion campus is in place. But it's hard to talk about further expansion until the already-approved expansion is carried out, which is why it would be nice to know what is causing the delay. (And if city staff needs the public's support, that would be good to know too.)