Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: less-expensive shops in Silver Spring area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default less-expensive shops in Silver Spring area?

Good afternoon!

I'm looking for a shop not too far from Silver Spring (e.g. in the northern part of the District, Rockville, etc.) to get some work done on several used bikes I recently acquired (the work includes, for Bike #1) tune up (back wheel needs to be trued, gears out of adjustment), replace front derailer cable, new front + rear break pads; #2) (depending on cost) - Back hub is loose, lot of rust, lube, front derailer cable rusted out; #3) adjustments/tune up)

I'm on a tight budget for this set of repairs, and so rather than the best shop, I'm looking for the least expensive that is good enough.

I'd appreciate any information about how (in)expensive local shops are, especially as to their labor charges.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done any comparisons, but I've had good luck with the Bicycle Place

Post Thanks / Like

Also have not done any comparisons, and I'm definitely preaching for my own local bike shop, but I find that the folks at Proteus Bicycles in College Park do honest and quality work at an honest price.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no way to know in advance what place will be cheapest, though it's probably best not to go to the very high end shops. And you don't save any money if you get a greenhorn wrench who leaves a part off (had it happen), fails to tighten a part so that it falls off (same), or suggests "cost saving" fixes that fail again much more quickly (same). Go with a place with a good rep. I haven't been to either of those places, but both have a good rep.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 10-23-2018 at 05:40 PM.