Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The science of being seen

Post Thanks / Like

Default The science of being seen

With daylight hours waning (especially once DST kicks in), thought this would be a good read for everyone.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/bik...ng-seen_472689

Name:  TK17_TeamCamp_TrekSegafredo_Sicily_Day2-0772.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  96.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

When driving I’ve often wondered “bike or car?” when looking at a one light in sea of red lights. They all blend together.

I want to stand out - so I run clip on NiteIze wheel lights in purple, pink, green or blue (often a mix of all) plus my rear light has a blue setting. I have neon blue flexible lights that wrap around my arms. I have neon pink string lights that wrap around my frame. Ankle reflectors. Reflective tape on my back pack and reflective stickers on my helmet.

I want drivers to think “wtf is THAT over there?”

This is so that if I get hit I can argue that there’s absolutely no way they didn’t see me. :-(

3. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    When driving I’ve often wondered “bike or car?” when looking at a one light in sea of red lights. They all blend together.

I want to stand out - so I run clip on NiteIze wheel lights in purple, pink, green or blue (often a mix of all) plus my rear light has a blue setting. I have neon blue flexible lights that wrap around my arms. I have neon pink string lights that wrap around my frame. Ankle reflectors. Reflective tape on my back pack and reflective stickers on my helmet.

This is so that if I get hit I can argue that there’s absolutely no way they didn’t see me. :-(
    Back in '94-abouts, I was working at a bike shop when Vistalite had to recall all their blue blinkie lights because that color was reserved for the police in some states. Apparently, it's OK in VA and MD according to this site: https://www.supernovabikelight.com/statutes/

I also put Monkeylectric wheel lights on my wife's commuter, which sometimes makes people slow down and go, "Ooooh ahhhh"
    Last edited by drevil; 10-17-2018 at 09:14 AM.

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I wouldn't care if the blue lights weren't legal. I don't leave my rear light on blue but it's nice to have it when I feel I need it.

The red and blue flashing mode is particularly obnoxious. And eye catching.

7. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post

I used to work at a military lab doing the opposite research - camouflage, or the science of not being seen. Our lab did a lot of work trying to hide, or trying to see things that are hard to see.

One day I was in the parking lot getting ready to ride home. Like you, I had a lot of lights, and I was turning them on. Our lab director was in the lot, and came over to me. He was a bit of a crusty old dude not known for casual conversation. He looked me over with a professional gaze, and said “with that many lights, if anyone hits you, then you will certainly know it was intentional.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where'd you get your neon blue flex lights to wrap around your arms? Now that i'm mostly riding in the city, I need more lights!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i'm thinking about those Monkey lights too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Where'd you get your neon blue flex lights to wrap around your arms? Now that i'm mostly riding in the city, I need more lights!
    My mom found them in the deep bowels of Amazon - I know she had trouble finding any kind of wearable light that wasn't red. They came from China as did my rear light (the packaging was in Chinese).

The NiteIze mini spoke lights are much cheaper than the monkey lights. Easier to install and you can quickly swap them from bike to bike.
    https://www.niteize.com/product/See-Em.asp
    Last edited by Tania; 10-17-2018 at 10:35 AM.

13. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I've been using NiteIze since my buddy Bobco introduced me to them on one of my first night rides home from Third Thursday Happy hour about 2 years ago!!

15. Likes bobco85, Steve O, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Thanks! I've been using NiteIze since my buddy Bobco introduced me to them on one of my first night rides home from Third Thursday Happy hour about 2 years ago!!
    I think he turned me onto them too. I regularly commute on three different bikes so it's not financially feasible to put monkey lights on all my bikes. The spoke lights work great for me although the ML's are way cooler.

Speaking of niteize, I see they now have some LED wrist slap bands that come in neon yellow and neon pink. May pick up a set of those.

17. Likes streetsmarts, bobco85 liked this post