Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The science of being seen

Post Thanks / Like

This was a great reminder to move my monkey lights onto my new commuter from my old bike. Thank you. I decided not to move it before the Natchez Trace trip since adding monkey lights to a steel bike that already had a rack and fenders installed would just be too much added weight ( ). The monkey lights are fabulous though. I LOVE them.

I also got 2 of these for my birthday and I'm curious as to how they will work. I just installed one on the back wheel of my commuter that has the monkey lights up front, and one on my backup bike. They require an absurdly fast speed to be "perfect" (18.6 mph), but they should do the trick of making me light up like a christmas tree.

I'm also a huge fan of the lumos helmet. I received one off the kickstarter campaign and have gotten numerous positive comments on it from drivers, pedestrians and other cyclists. I just realized they released it in pink so I may be about to have 2 lumos helmets now...

Post Thanks / Like

One relatively cheap reflective item I love is the Salzman Spoke Reflectors. I don't see them in stock at Amazon now, but I've bought few packs of 36 at $13.90 the last couple of years. They take 1 second to put each one on, and you can hardly tell they're there, so if you have a super swank bike - ahem, kwark - these won't out you as a dork. I even put a couple on my mountain bikes (around the valve) in case I have to hop on the road for a little bit. Also makes it easier to find the valve to pump the tire.

BTW, I don't do full wheelsets of them like they do in the vid. I usually only do 2-4, and sometimes 8 on bikes that I know I'll ride on the road a lot at night.

3. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tania View Post
    this is so that ̶i̶f̶ when i get hit i can argue that thereís absolutely no way they didnít see me.
    ftfy.

Post Thanks / Like

The recommended Flare RT lights have been recalled. https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...-lights-48822/

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post
    The recommended Flare RT lights have been recalled. https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...-lights-48822/
    I hope they've fixed the issue since 2016. I had two Bontrager Ion front lights that crapped out on me in less than a year and started turning on and off whenever they wanted to. I switched to Light and Motion Urban 500's for the front light and like them just fine, although the port cover is junk and breaks off quickly on them.

Post Thanks / Like

What consensus is there for limits on visibility markings? I run lights during the day and some cyclists cover their eyes in some sort of "your blinding me" pantomime. When I stopped using lights in response the safety patrol motioned to turn them back on. My 2 lights are mounted about 12 inches above the ground and are each 4 1-watt leds for a total of about 700lm. These aren't bright enough to hurt anyone's eyes even if they were to look directly into them at point blank range at night. Perhaps some people prefer a softer yellow light and these are a harsher high temperature white. Are there other reasons why some might engage in so much drama over lighting? Absent a reasonable concern for retina damage or even reduction in night vision, I've assumed it is simply a round-about way to protest electric-assist vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBikeCar View Post
    What consensus is there for limits on visibility markings? I run lights during the day and some cyclists cover their eyes in some sort of "your blinding me" pantomime. When I stopped using lights in response the safety patrol motioned to turn them back on. My 2 lights are mounted about 12 inches above the ground and are each 4 1-watt leds for a total of about 700lm. These aren't bright enough to hurt anyone's eyes even if they were to look directly into them at point blank range at night. Perhaps some people prefer a softer yellow light and these are a harsher high temperature white. Are there other reasons why some might engage in so much drama over lighting? Absent a reasonable concern for retina damage or even reduction in night vision, I've assumed it is simply a round-about way to protest electric-assist vehicles.
    Last fall is the first time I ran into you at night(I don't go to Reston area often, and I have seen you three times during daytime). Seeing two headlights coming at me, I assumed that a car entered the W&OD by mistake, it took me few seconds to realize it was you. You were going faster than the average cyclist at the time, so I assumed a car. A new cyclist would probably freak out. So expect more issues in the days ahead since it will be dark by 5 PM. If you get a single light, it would be easier, but others would assume a narrow bicycle/vehicle. Using an LED strip might solve this problem.

Your biggest issue however is liability. If you hit someone, the one who's breaking the rules gets more liability. My/Your/Others interpretation of the laws don't matter. The one who matters is the judge presiding on the case. That's when most people know that interpreting laws based on the way they were enforced is irrelevant in court.

If you have visited this forum before buying a multi-modal vehicle, my advice would have been to buy a cargo E-bike, or an E-bike with a trailer carrying extra batteries that you would disengage mid-point and store somewhere, like in a bike room. Local authorities should build extra bike storage rooms in strategic locations to support those who have long commute. I know there is one at Wiehle Metro Station in Reston, and there is another one at Stringfellow RD in Fairfax county. They require fees to use. We need more.

9. Likes LhasaCM liked this post