Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Memorial Bridge lane closures will be "permanent" through 2021

Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys should just avoid Memorial Bridge. I rode across Roosevelt for years. It is a bit narrow and the barrier is a bit low, but it's doable. The job I have now is closer to the Mall so I go across 14-th Street Bridge. The construction (stairs) project is over this week. It's a wide bridge with a high barrier. You can easily access Ohio Drive and head back towards Memorial Bridge are once you cross it if that's where you need to go. I went across Memorial for the first time earlier this month and found it to be a PITA crossing the Parkway and dodging all the construction. Now it's even worse. Neither Roosevelt or 14-th Street bridges involve crossing the Parkway or dodging traffic.

2. Likes huskerdont, Tania, buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    I dunno. Bridge traffic was bumper-to-bumper this morning, and there is no bailout eastbound. Just temporary jersey barriers in the right lane and oncoming traffic in the reversible middle lane. Plus the rear-ender that I saw in the outbound lane this morning confirmed that I'll stick to the sidewalk despite the foot traffic, construction barriers, etc. I'd rather put up with that inconvenience than end up sandwiched between two cars. The sidewalk was faster than the vehicle lanes anyhow.
    Good point about no bailout. Last couple times I tried the upriver sidewalk. I then figure-8 my way to the RCP trail which requires a dismount and quick cyclocross by the vollyball courts and abandoned (?) tunnel. I've always wanted to do cyclocross, but this is going to get old fast.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've encountered/overheard a few bewildered and unhappy tourists on cabis during my commutes recently. Lost people, bug-eyed at the 14th street bridge stairs, complaining about not being able to figure out how to cross memorial bridge kinda stuff. It's a bad look for the city.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    So.... commuters heading into Virginia to the Mount Vernon Trail to the are supposed to cross Henry Bacon Drive, 23rd Street, the Rock Creek Parkway (TWICE), Route 50/Arlington Boulevard (TWICE), and finally, Memorial Avenue? And then, to top things off are supposed to Washington Boulevard, then cross the Washington Memorial Parkway?
    I think you get all those crossings from looking at the map. There are bridges involved, so, e.g. you cross over Rock Creek Parkway.

You do have to cross Bacon & 23rd, both at lights, ramp from RCP to Memorial Bridge, then the murder-crosswalk where cars are exiting the bridge and think they're already on 395, then you cross Memorial Ave at the new temp crosswalk, then the 27-Memorial Bridge ramp, the 27-GWMP ramp, then the GWMP. 8 crosswalks, 2 of which are lights.

To be fair, without the detour, you still have to cross from the Lincoln to the south side path, Ohio Drive, the off ramp from the bridge to RCP, the 27-GWMP ramp, then the GWMP. 5 crossings, no lights, none as bad as the murder-crosswalk.
    Last edited by dasgeh; 10-25-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    I then figure-8 my way to the RCP trail which requires a dismount and quick cyclocross by the vollyball courts and abandoned (?) tunnel. I've always wanted to do cyclocross, but this is going to get old fast.
    What? To get from the upstream Memorial Bridge sidepath to the RCP trail is super easy -- when you get to the ramp from RCP to Memorial Bridge (first road crossing, no light), just turn left on that first sidewalk. Down the hill and you're on the RCP trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    What? To get from the upstream Memorial Bridge sidepath to the RCP trail is super easy -- when you get to the ramp from RCP to Memorial Bridge (first road crossing, no light), just turn left on that first sidewalk. Down the hill and you're on the RCP trail.
    I think he may be taking RCP southbound toward Ohio Drive and the Tidal Basin, and doesn't want to go all the way up to Peters Point to access it.

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I think he may be taking RCP southbound toward Ohio Drive and the Tidal Basin, and doesn't want to go all the way up to Peters Point to access it.
    Ok. But that's the routing of the trail, so it's not the biggest detour. Alternatively, you can just zip around the Lincoln and take the road down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Correct. I need to go southbound. I'm a big John Ericsson fan.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    Correct. I need to go southbound. I'm a big John Ericsson fan.
    That's a hidden gem of a memorial in a terrible location to visit.