Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memorial Bridge lane closures will be "permanent" through 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Trollheim
    I am not familiar with the name Trollheim (from context it looks like you mean the wooden, elevated path of the MVT, also unlit at night, but at least plenty wide); I take it that this forum slang and not an official name for this section.

2. Likes huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yule View Post
    I am not familiar with the name Trollheim (from context it looks like you mean the wooden, elevated path of the MVT, also unlit at night, but at least plenty wide); I take it that this forum slang and not an official name for this section.
    Correct. If only a name like "Trollheim" could be official.

4. Likes Yule, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Tried the bridge coming from custis and MVT this morning. Horrible
    I agree with your negative assessment of the conditions following the total downstream side shutdown this week.

This evening I witnessed (from the safe distance of a few seconds' slow-to-moderate rising speed behind), a near collision between two bicyclists right at the blind turn towards the terminus of the bridge on the DC side. This even though one of them was ringing away at his bell to alert an unseen oncomer, there was no way to see each other and hardly the space to dodge out of the way; it was a near miss; my memory tells me there was some kind of construction-related equipment right there, partially blocking the sidewalk, which must have contributed. That and (obviously) the sudden rise in bicycle traffic, including by people who normally take the now-closed downstream side in.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from the south on the MVT I tried taking the lane into DC this morning, as a few others had suggested, and think it may be the fastest, easiest and safest option. I also then avoid the stairs on 14th St Bridge until that detour is finished.

I am not sure, however, that one of the lanes would be as convenient in the evenings out to Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BTC_DC View Post
    Coming from the south on the MVT I tried taking the lane into DC this morning, as a few others had suggested, and think it may be the fastest, easiest and safest option. I also then avoid the stairs on 14th St Bridge until that detour is finished.

I am not sure, however, that one of the lanes would be as convenient in the evenings out to Virginia.
    Perhaps it's just the sidewalk vs. vehicle traffic during my normal commute into DC, but I still find that the sidewalk seems to be a faster option than taking one of the lanes. In my view, it's definitely more comfortable than taking the lane with the proviso that, as always, you need to be careful and respectful of other foot and wheeled traffic on the sidewalk.

I agree with the assessment for the Virginia-bound traffic in the evening. I suppose that taking the lane would mean taking the middle reversible lane outbound, then merging to the left with traffic that might be coming northbound around Memorial Circle, to hop onto the MUP north of Memorial Circle. As much as I dislike crossing those 3 lanes of traffic, at least I can see the traffic coming and decide when to cross. Sometimes this means stopping in front of the near or middle lane waiting for traffic in the other lane(s) to stop. But for me, this seems safer than mixing it up on the bridge with the angry outbound traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BTC_DC View Post
    Outbound this time of year is tough because of the low sun. Memorial Bridge drivers are driving directly into it.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we discussed that corner on the DC-NE corner of the bridge sidepath yet? The completely blind 90 degree left you have to make if you're headed east (right if you're headed west)? Seems like a collision waiting to happen with more than modest traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

It was mentioned quickly. I've never rounded that bend until this week, but I only had to do it once to see that it's a bad spot. Have to open the angle of approach to increase sight lines and stopping time.