Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Memorial Bridge lane closures will be "permanent" through 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    While the bridge overhaul is putting a hitch in regular commutes, we can entertain ourselves with a virtual tour of the inside of the bridge
    Thanks for sharing! Fascinating to look at all that!

2. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My commute doesn't cross the river -- but I've biked over Memorial Bridge on most weekends since the construction / traffic changes started; fortunately the bridge sidewalks haven't been chaotic then. (And wow -- I'm not brave enough to imagine biking in the car lanes there during rush hour!)

I think if I did need to regularly cross the Potomac, and my targeted or direct route made Memorial Bridge the ideal crossing point -- I'd just trade the hassle of the bridge construction zone (and that murder crosswalk) entirely, for some extra minutes and the roughly what, 2.3 mile detour? to go down Ohio Dr, cross 14th Street Bridge (now that the trail is reopened / freshly paved!) and onto Mt. Vernon Trail.

I'd likely chose that over Roosevelt Bridge, speaking for myself, even though TRB route detour could likely be a little shorter? The TRB does feel too narrow for comfort with any other users sharing it, not to mention the nightmare images that pop into mind, of tipping over the low railing into traffic... The 14th St. detour just feels far less stressful overall to me, and worth the stray miles.

(That said, I've also not biked my commute, or at all yet, below 28 degrees -- I could see where soon, I'd loathe the idea of adding even 2.2 miles if I didn't have to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    While the bridge overhaul is putting a hitch in regular commutes, we can entertain ourselves with a virtual tour of the inside of the bridge
    Way cool! Thank you, for all of us who never knew or had forgotten that this is/was an artfully disguised drawbridge. The detours/delays/dangers suck, true, but there was no longer any choice- the drawspan structure was rusted out beyond repair. Here is a link to how they are replacing the drawspan while still keeping the bridge open: https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/manag...bilitation.htm

And we will keep pressing to make the bike commute as safe as we can.