Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memorial Bridge lane closures will be "permanent" through 2021

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    It occurred to me that we might be able to link Mayor Bowser's recent Vision Zero initiatives with the Memorial Bridge issues at Memorial Circle. Memorial Circle is in the District after all.

Just say'n.
    I've had this thought, though it's NPS land. It's worth adding to the conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have read this thread before riding a bike from the Capitol to Falls Church last night. I had heard about the closure, but thought it would be on the Northern side of the bridge. When I got to it (in the dark), the South side walkway was barricaded and I could find no detour signs or maps posted at all. I walked the bike across Eastbound (city-bound) bridge traffic, rode with (in) Westbound bridge traffic in the left lane, ran around the traffic circle on the Virginia side, but still could not find what path to take there. So I re-merged with traffic heading Eastbound across the bridge back into DC, and bailed at the path that crosses the parkway to the trail to Rosslyn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMB_DetourMap_South_Version8_28AUG18.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	18531

So.... commuters heading into Virginia to the Mount Vernon Trail to the are supposed to cross these dangerous roads. What I ended up doing is drawn in black on the above map. At least, coming off the bridge in the left travel lane, I was able to get directly onto the Memorial Avenue loop without having to cross anything additional to usual path except for the one where traffic that was already crawling because it was merging onto the bridge.

Now that I know what's happening there , it looks as if Lincoln Memorial, to the Rock Creek Parkway headed North, to Roosevelt Bridge, to the Mount Vernon Trail would have been the better option than taking Memorial Bridge.
    Last edited by phog; 10-25-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Error in post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    Now that I know what's happening there , it looks as if Lincoln Memorial, to the Rock Creek Parkway headed North, to Memorial Bridge, to the Mount Vernon Trail would have been the better option than taking Memorial Bridge.
    Huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry- I meant Rock Creek Pkwy to Roosevelt bridge. I'll make the edit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    Sorry- I meant Rock Creek Pkwy to Roosevelt bridge. I'll make the edit.
    Yeah, maybe that's better, though the Roosevelt Bridge path is super narrow. It's basically a "pick your poison" situation.