Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: 14th St Bridge incident

Post Thanks / Like

Default 14th St Bridge incident

A heads up about an individual who may have some mental health issues. About 815am today crossing the 14th St Bridge, I approached a heavyset African-American man carrying two duffel type bags. He was taking up almost the entire walkway and didn't look like the typical commuter so I approached slowly giving multiple warnings. He never moved and seemed to be talking to himself. I finally decided to squeeze by and pass and was given a wack to the face as I did.

Nothing major. More of a wtf moment than anything else but I can see if it were a less-seasoned cyclist it could have been dangerous.
    Unfortunately the usual park police were not at the base of the bridge.

I haven't seen him before, so hopefully it's a one off and he won't be making regular crossings.

2. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he'd just been forced to take the path detour and climb the stairs and thought you were with NPS?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

I did note an unusual NPS police presence passing through at about 9.10 a

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly was it about this guy doing that was illegal and would make you want to notify the police? He's walking across a bridge on a pedestrian path - is that illegal? There are plenty of times where I can't pass people because of one thing or another so I wait. According to what you wrote, he was just minding his own business and going from point a to point b.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that he did anything illegal, but he may have been a danger to other cyclists, pedestrians, joggers if he did have some mental illness. Not moving when he knows someone is behind him and then wacking me in the face when I pass is rather aggressive and could have been more violent depending on his mood.

I wasn't about to stop and have a chat to determine that and would have simply alerted police that there is someone on the bridge who may be aggressively violent.
    Maybe he was just one pissed off dude---either way, it was not a good situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    What exactly was it about this guy doing that was illegal and would make you want to notify the police? He's walking across a bridge on a pedestrian path - is that illegal? There are plenty of times where I can't pass people because of one thing or another so I wait. According to what you wrote, he was just minding his own business and going from point a to point b.
    However, the 14th Street Bridge crossing is wide enough where two people can pass safely. And minding his own business does not cover wacking someone in the face.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    However, the 14th Street Bridge crossing is wide enough where two people can pass safely. And minding his own business does not cover wacking someone in the face.

You're right, I missed that part in the OP.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post