Likes Likes:  116
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

There is a tree down on the Mount Vernon Trail in the Fort Hunt area. Kudos to the person who laid out warning branches at the curve in the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5751.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	18439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5752.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	18440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	18441  

Post Thanks / Like

Having read about the problems at Trollheim, it looks like construction workers have it in for bicyclists today. One working on the Key Bridge severely rutted the C&O towpath below it.

https://twitter.com/WHands80/status/1047222854285189120

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody had fun with the detour sign at the top of the 14th St Bridge stairs. Well played.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181003_080400a.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	18443

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know how long the stairs detour on the DC side of the 14-th street bridge is going to last? I'm surprised no one has been hurt hauling their bikes up and down 40 stairs.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Anyone know how long the stairs detour on the DC side of the 14-th street bridge is going to last? I'm surprised no one has been hurt hauling their bikes up and down 40 stairs.
    Construction is planned to take 10 weeks with the stairs also being closed for one week starting October 7th.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    For the few of you who cross the 14th street bridge and then go north on the MVT, I've found that a good stairless, low-stress alternative is Ohio Drive to the downstream (south) side of Memorial Bridge. Memorial bridge is a bit busy, bumpy, and plagued by construction obstacles, but you get 2 of those 3 on the MVT anyway. Ohio Drive is smooth, straight, and almost entirely unused by anyone. I've found the cars on the 2 GWMP crossings down to the MVT to be well behaved (so far) as well.

7. Likes Judd, Steve O, Nadine liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    For the few of you who cross the 14th street bridge and then go north on the MVT, I've found that a good stairless, low-stress alternative is Ohio Drive to the downstream (south) side of Memorial Bridge. Memorial bridge is a bit busy, bumpy, and plagued by construction obstacles, but you get 2 of those 3 on the MVT anyway. Ohio Drive is smooth, straight, and almost entirely unused by anyone. I've found the cars on the 2 GWMP crossings down to the MVT to be well behaved (so far) as well.
    This is great until NPS closes the downstream side of the Memorial Bridge too. I keep trying to get info on when that's going to happen, but no luck so far.

9. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    This is great until NPS closes the downstream side of the Memorial Bridge too. I keep trying to get info on when that's going to happen, but no luck so far.
    According to this NPS web page, "The westbound sidewalk will close first from fall 2018 until fall 2019." I'm guessing that means the north (upstream) sidewalk since that is next to the lanes where the cars usually go west. Even if the 14th Street Bridge ramp work goes past 10 weeks, it will hopefully end before "fall 2019".

11. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    According to this NPS web page, "The westbound sidewalk will close first from fall 2018 until fall 2019." I'm guessing that means the north (upstream) sidewalk since that is next to the lanes where the cars usually go west.
    I too would think that "westbound sidewalk" means the upstream side. But when one continues reading, the details of NPS's ped/bike detours correspond to the case where the downstream sidewalk is closed and the upstream sidewalk is open. So it's unclear at best.

13. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Construction is planned to take 10 weeks with the stairs also being closed for one week starting October 7th.
    So they're closing the whole 14-th street bridge crossing next week!!!!!??