Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I used the concrete stringer next to the incomplete runnel to roll down because some Lumberjack or other had moved the cones out of the way over the weekend.

2. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday on the way to the DCU game I saw a woman fall trying to use the runnels. Very glad I can just shoulder my bike.

BTW, there was glass all over Key Bridge downstream side this morning. Three Heine bottles strategically broken at intervals best suited to catching you once you relaxed and let your guard down. Kicked some out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Some photos from this morning

Looking up the stairs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OI000074.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	18516

A rider using the runnels

Name:	OI000070.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	18517

Notice how the runnels are discontinuous on the flat. That forces cyclists to have to aim their wheels at each runnel.

Name:	OI000069.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	18518

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I used the concrete stringer next to the incomplete runnel to roll down because some Lumberjack or other had moved the cones out of the way over the weekend.
    Some other Lumberjack beat me to it. I gave the runnels a test run yesterday though. It was okay with my carbon bike which I could have also easily just shouldered. If I had my commuter bike with a pannier it would have been challenging, particularly going down.

I know of one person that has managed to use the detour with his cargo bike and three very young children. I don't know how the heck he managed to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I actually found balancing my bike with panniers on the non continuous runnels to be more difficult than just carrying my bike. The runnels are narrow, and my bike was heavy and a little tough to control with the constant moving on and off the thin runnels. We'll see what going up is like this PM.
    I carried my bike with 3 U-locks in the panniers down the steps this morning rather than use the runnels. I'd prefer a hand rail to keep from falling down the stairs to the runnels.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Park Service realized they weren't doing a shitty enough job with the 14th bridge detour so they went ahead and upped their game today.

Now the runnels are being blocked by cones and pipes on both sides, which they've placed into the runnels to make them completely unusable. The cones narrow the staircase so much (especially at the top) that only one person can fit going up or down at a time.

I didn't think they could make it much worse than it was... but boy was I wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. Dislikes sjclaeys, Starduster, ginacico disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, can we now drop the pretense that NPS would be better if only it weren't for Congress and if they had more money. They are a poorly run organization that doesn't give a flip about cyclists.

10. Likes rcannon100, Steve O, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	PA221994.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	18523

It seems that yesterday's accomplishment was installing these little turn-downs that connect the runnel to the landings. While the quality of the work seems good, it appears to be a good execution of a clueless design. Not sure why the runnel just didn't follow the concrete stringer on the side of the stairs continuously on the slope and landing.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	PA221982.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	18524

A shot from yesterday morning. Note the editorial amendments to the sign.

Name:	PA221996.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	18525

Apparently the NPS took offense, as shown in this shot from yesterday afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I think the Park Service realized they weren't doing a shitty enough job with the 14th bridge detour so they went ahead and upped their game today.

Now the runnels are being blocked by cones and pipes on both sides, which they've placed into the runnels to make them completely unusable. The cones narrow the staircase so much (especially at the top) that only one person can fit going up or down at a time.