Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    There's also these things. They fit two and I've heard the swans are E-assist.
    They were cruisin'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0322.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	18449

2. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh, Arlingtonrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just missed the last opening of the bridge today before they closed the VA side so had a nice tour of the Mall and couple extra miles. A rider at work said he was one of the last thru before they closed it and that he was told it would be open later today. That true? Seems all the intel on nps says it's completely closed thru Friday..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    Just missed the last opening of the bridge today before they closed the VA side so had a nice tour of the Mall and couple extra miles. A rider at work said he was one of the last thru before they closed it and that he was told it would be open later today. That true? Seems all the intel on nps says it's completely closed thru Friday..
    My wife got to the 14-th street bridge right before they closed it around 8:00 this morning. I rode across the Memorial Bridge and down Ohio. I checked the stairs at the 14-th street bridge and they were blocked off with tape and some of that orange webbed fencing. I think it's closed for the week. Enjoy today and tomorrow -- what appear to be the last two days of warm weather for a while. Hopefully not a long while.

Post Thanks / Like

When I stopped at the water fountain at the intersection of the Custis and W&OD early this morning, I noticed that the manhole cover next to it was not where it should be (namely closing the hole). Watch out if you walk there. It had a crack in it for sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I too would think that "westbound sidewalk" means the upstream side. But when one continues reading, the details of NPS's ped/bike detours correspond to the case where the downstream sidewalk is closed and the upstream sidewalk is open. So it's unclear at best.
    Going over the bridge, it looks like the downstream side will be closed first. The reversible lane lights are set up on the west bound side, which I'd assume corresponds to the side they are leaving open for bike/ped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    My wife got to the 14-th street bridge right before they closed it around 8:00 this morning. I rode across the Memorial Bridge and down Ohio. I checked the stairs at the 14-th street bridge and they were blocked off with tape and some of that orange webbed fencing. I think it's closed for the week. Enjoy today and tomorrow -- what appear to be the last two days of warm weather for a while. Hopefully not a long while.
    They had it re-opened when I road home after 5PM - shiny new tar at the top of the stairs. I think they'll only close it when they're working in the top of the stairs area. Looking at what they've done so far, I would expect only one or two more closings.

8. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwhiffen View Post
    They had it re-opened when I road home after 5PM - shiny new tar at the top of the stairs. I think they'll only close it when they're working in the top of the stairs area. Looking at what they've done so far, I would expect only one or two more closings.
    They also expanded the landing at the top and moved the fencing out to give more space to people using the runnel, but the runnel itself is still nearly worthless.

Post Thanks / Like

The 14-th street bridge/stairs were open last night (10/9) and this morning (10/10).

11. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Anyone know how long the stairs detour on the DC side of the 14-th street bridge is going to last? I'm surprised no one has been hurt hauling their bikes up and down 40 stairs.
    Any updates on when the actual bridge crossing is closing? It was supposed to be closed for the week of Oct 07, but it has still been open for crossing this week. I rode across it at 8:30 am this morning (Wed Oct 10). NPS hasn't posted any updated closure dates during which the Memorial Bridge will have to be used. Has anyone found updates?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanaeBixby View Post
    Any updates on when the actual bridge crossing is closing? It was supposed to be closed for the week of Oct 07, but it has still been open for crossing this week. I rode across it at 8:30 am this morning (Wed Oct 10). NPS hasn't posted any updated closure dates during which the Memorial Bridge will have to be used. Has anyone found updates?
    They closed for the part of the day Tuesday or yesterday, maybe a little after 8 am, and it was open in the evening. Hopefully, they are only doing limited closings, as one other poster indicated.