Likes Likes:  116
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I don't plan to use them down the stairs since I'm not as good at controlling my bike going down.
    The key to going down the runnel (or the stringer) is to grab both brakes and keep them dragging on the inclines. Probably easier said than done with drop bars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    The key to going down the runnel (or the stringer) is to grab both brakes and keep them dragging on the inclines.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    The key to going down the runnel (or the stringer) is to grab both brakes and keep them dragging on the inclines. Probably easier said than done with drop bars.
    I tried that Monday and it wasn't easy on the runnels there. On a hill, or walking down a rutted path that's what I do, but a fully loaded commuter with panniers + steep disconnected runnels did not lead to that being easy. I think with my carbon road bike or a lighter bike it'd be a cinch. I saw multiple people with heavy bikes start on the runnels, and then get off them after they struggled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I tried that Monday and it wasn't easy on the runnels there. On a hill, or walking down a rutted path that's what I do, but a fully loaded commuter with panniers + steep disconnected runnels did not lead to that being easy. I think with my carbon road bike or a lighter bike it'd be a cinch. I saw multiple people with heavy bikes start on the runnels, and then get off them after they struggled.
    I went up the runnels today and they are not well aligned (even before the big leftward shift) causing the rear wheel to catch before you get it out. When I went down, I used the concrete stringer which is straight and continuous. I imagine the down runnel is no better aligned, but at least it does not prevent use of the stringer.