Likes Likes:  116
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

People are trying, I guess, and that's great, but in the "year of the detour" it has been demonstrated that planners and engineers really need to walk or bike the detour routes, as well as consider the planned changes from the perspective of pedestrians and cyclists.

The most baffling one to me was the placement of the walk signal in the middle of the Custis right in front of the curb ramp at Scott, but they've since moved over a few feet after complaints. Still a bit tight in there when pedestrians are present, but nothing a bit of slowing down won't cure.

2. Likes ginacico liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The 4MRT was open this morning, EB, though the sidewalk was closed.

Post Thanks / Like

Correction to this. The detour sign was just after passing under Mt. Vernon, not just past Eads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I rode westbound about 1:30pm and was detoured just past Eads towards Glebe.. .

Post Thanks / Like

Closure at S. Uhle St. this afternoon. No detour provided. Had to walk through the churned up dirt across the narrow strip left between where the trucks were parked and the road. It looks like they were building a mini-ramp so they could have another pipe or something cross the trail. Should be good for some BMX style stunts.

Post Thanks / Like

Our friends at NPS, or at least their contractor, have taken stupid to a whole new level at 14th Street Bridge stairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FDCC256-2D5D-4A58-97DA-3A7587376504.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	18491

There are cones and aluminum troughs and poles strewn about making the stairs even narrower, and impossible to use the concrete ramps on the sides of the stairs.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 10-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.

7. Likes dbb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Our friends at NPS, or at least their contractor, have taken stupid to a whole new level at 14th Street Bridge stairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FDCC256-2D5D-4A58-97DA-3A7587376504.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	18491

There are cones and aluminum troughs and poles strewn about making the stairs even narrower, and impossible to use the concrete ramps on the sides of the stairs.
    Does anybody at bikearlington or waba have contact info for project managers and other officials responsible for this shit? Its about time some of the incompetents in charge are held responsible for the constant devolution of this project.
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 10-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.

9. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reached out to the NPS and the work appears to be based on the design of the runnels in Georgetown (possibly the stairs leading down to the trail). It isn't clear in the photo I saw (from Georgetown) if the runnels are continuous or only on the inclines (which seem to be less effective).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I reached out to the NPS and the work appears to be based on the design of the runnels in Georgetown (possibly the stairs leading down to the trail). It isn't clear in the photo I saw (from Georgetown) if the runnels are continuous or only on the inclines (which seem to be less effective).
    The runnels are only on the inclines. I used them going down this AM, but I am 50-50 on whether I will do that again (at least going down) vs carrying the bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    The runnels are only on the inclines. I used them going down this AM, but I am 50-50 on whether I will do that again (at least going down) vs carrying the bike.
    I actually found balancing my bike with panniers on the non continuous runnels to be more difficult than just carrying my bike. The runnels are narrow, and my bike was heavy and a little tough to control with the constant moving on and off the thin runnels. We'll see what going up is like this PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the downhill runnel today since I was carrying a heavy load on the back. Fortunately I was wearing recessed cleats vs regular road cleats, cuz walking down those short steps with a heavy bike, picking up speed quickly was a little dicey. If there had been any frost on the steps I woulda been slipping n sliding the whole way down.
    Definitely going back to just muscling up and hoisting the beast.