Likes Likes:  108
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

It was open for this evening's rush as well. As earlier reported, the area above the stairs has been freshly paved. It was not obvious how the stairs would have to be blocked again. In any case, I found the stairs to be a vast improvement over the Memorial Bridge Magical Mystery Tour.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a note from the NPS re: the bridge closing.

"If you haven't noticed, the connection at the stop of the stairs is open for use - just took a day."

Post Thanks / Like

lol, did that same note also like us to know that sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I got a note from the NPS re: the bridge closing.

"If you haven't noticed, the connection at the stop of the stairs is open for use - just took a day."
    Can your sources let us know whether/when/which Memorial Bridge sidepath will be closed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default No more Bridge Closure- Stair detour will remain open

I contacted NPS yesterday and got the following response:

ME: Looking to get an update regarding the dates of closure of the 14th street bridge to pedestrians and cyclists. I noticed we were still able to use the bridge this week, depsite the original plan to detour to the memorial bridge. Was wondering if there were new dates selected for the closure. Thanks.

NPS: While we expected there to be no access to or from the bridge this week (October 7-13), we were very pleasantly surprised that the contractor was able to structure the work in order to restore access to the staircase next to the bridge after only one day of work. So no worries that it has been rescheduled - the work has been completed and there will be access to the bridge for the remainder of the project.

Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Litterst
    Chief of Communications

National Park Service
    National Mall & Memorial Parks
    900 Ohio Drive, SW
    Washington, DC 20024
    Phone: (202) 245-4676

I got Mike's contact from this site: https://www.nps.gov/nama/learn/news/biketrailwork.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPS Memorial Bridge.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	18465

Just received the above as a press release. It appears the new traffic patterns for Memorial Bridge, including sidewalk closure of the downstream side, will begin on Monday, October 15.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMB_DetourMap_South_Version8_28AUG18.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	18466
    Last edited by Erin Potter; 10-11-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added the bridge name for optimal usefulness.

7. Likes Starduster, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From my inbox: Be alert for some changes around the W&OD/Four Mile Run/Walter Reed intersection starting October 15th, weather permitting..

South Walter Reed Drive Improvements
    - Phase I of construction will initially focus on the southeast corner of Arlington Mill/Walter Reed intersection and the northwest corner of the Four Mile Run/Walter Reed/W&OD Trail intersection. Any necessary detours will be signed in the field. These corner improvements will be addressed within the first week.
    - Construction will then shift to the west side of Walter Reed Drive between Four Mile Run Drive and Arlington Mill Drive. Please note that the west side sidewalk will be closed during this time, and detours will be signed in the field to direct pedestrians and cyclists around the work. Commercial driveways will remain open during construction.
    - Demolition work will also begin on Arlington Mill Drive in preparation for the refuge island improvements.
    - Expected duration of Phase I: 15 weeks
    - Work hours will be 9 am to 4 pm, Monday – Friday.

9. Likes KWL, Arlingtonrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tree down and blocking the Custis near the pond that is just East of Quincy Street.

11. Likes DrP, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    Tree down and blocking the Custis near the pond that is just East of Quincy Street.
    As of 7:15am the underbrush of it was cleared enough to be able to pass eastbound underneath it with some slowing (or avoid debris). Westbound might have been passable, depending on your height.

Post Thanks / Like

At about 6:45 this morning, there was a tree down at the Ballston end of the Bluemont Connection trail. The trail was completely blocked, but you can take the desire path off the the right around it.

Other than that, minimal storm litter on the trails from East Falls Church to Ballston via W&OD and the Bluemont Connection.