Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trail closed under Roosevelt Bridge -- 10/2/18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Three detours on "The Arlington Loop"

In addition to the detour that is the subject of this tread (which explains the dudes riding on the GW Parkway!), which took me into DC and down to the 14th St Bridge, where the "stair detour" is located (which by the way you can push your bike up, so no biggie), there was a detour on the 4 Mile Run trail near Shirlington for sewage line repair. A three detour day I guess, keeps things interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    To be clear: can someone ride to the Roosevelt Bridge now or is the western-most part (west of the T intersection) of the Trollheim damaged?
    Came here to clarify this same note.

Also, here's the quick update I received from NPS:
    "Here's a tweet about the closure. Bikers should detour on DC side by crossing TR Bridge to get north of the trail closure. We are working to open the trail before the evening rush hour, but we're unsure of when the work will be done."

Appreciate all of your updates, fine folks of the Forum!

3. Likes Nadine, DrP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    VDOt SOP.

So, funny story. You can't do a post with all caps. I tried every combination and had to have at least one letter lower cased or it converted every letter to lower case. No shouting!
    TYPE ONE RANDOM LETTER IN LOWER CASE AND COLOR IT WHITE, LIKE THIS a.

5. Likes Nadine, Emm, huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty easy -- things to remember: the downstream side of the Memorial Bridge is the safest. Then cross the street when you get to the intersection (after the bridge, at the Metro). Then take the trail that runs along the road that goes off to the right. From there, you can take the road or trail to the Iwo Jima, then take the trail just south of the Iwo Jima up to the Road. That road will become Lynn street and take you to the intersection of doom.
    I got lost right at the beginning. Which side is the downstream side? South or north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I got lost right at the beginning. Which side is the downstream side? South or north?
    Downstream is south. On the TR Bridge, the sidepath that connects to Trollheim is on the upstream (north) side, while on the Memorial Bridge, easiest access to the MVT is on the downstream (south) side.

8. Likes Nadine liked this post
  9. 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Is this really a surprise? Like everyone else who rides across Trollheim, they slipped and fell. 😳

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear: can someone ride to the Roosevelt Bridge now or is the western-most part (west of the T intersection) of the Trollheim damaged?
    If you are coming from Rosslyn riding south (downstream direction), you can get on the Roosevelt Bridge. The damage is just beyond where the boardwalk splits -- about 100 feet from the split.

12. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Some moron construction workers attempted to drive a piece of machinery under the Roosevelt bridge on the wood raised section and it fell through. If you're headed south from Rosslyn, the only way across the river after the Key Bridge is Roosevelt.

Something tells me that its going to take a while to get this fixed. Any updates appreciated.

And I thought the stair detour at the 14-th street bridge sucked.
    I only wish I had seen this before I went out on the ride! I was going to do the Arlington Loop until I hit this snag... and then had to go up and over TR Bridge (first time on a bike!). I figured my way down to the trail along the Potomac, and then headed over to Lincoln so I cut over to Ohio Dr. and hit Haines Point. Made it! First time I'd done this coming from home. But then... I had to figure out how to get onto 14th and went all the way around and back to the... stairs. So I hit that NPS detour too. Yay. From there it was smooth sailing, other than the constant head wind, back up to home near Westover. So, detours suck, but adventures are fun. That's my $.02 worth. Sorry commuters, I know it sucks more for you.

JG

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post
    Is this really a surprise? Like everyone else who rides across Trollheim, they slipped and fell. 😳
    I was thinking that this really should be reported on the Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Came here to clarify this same note.

Also, here's the quick update I received from NPS:
    "Here's a tweet about the closure. Bikers should detour on DC side by crossing TR Bridge to get north of the trail closure. We are working to open the trail before the evening rush hour, but we're unsure of when the work will be done."

Appreciate all of your updates, fine folks of the Forum!
    Okay, so those of us who use the trail to get from north Arlington to south Arlington are quite possibly going to need to either do the 110 trail or W&OD to 4MRT trail this evening and tomorrow, is that what I am seeing here? Good to know. I will check here later in hopes of more updates! Thank you all, this is why I joined the forum - trail information.