Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail closed under Roosevelt Bridge -- 10/2/18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    #replacenotrepair
    I agree. I crashed on this stupid wooden bridge last week and fractured my knee.

2. 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like

The Park Service could terminate the equipment operator's contract for convenience at no cost to the government because the contractor clearly and obviously ignored any safety precautions. There are no barriers compliant with ADA regulations either so my visually-impaired friends would fall right into this equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    If'n I was still commuting that way, I would just consider it a preview of this winter when the MVT isn't cleared.
    Living out in Vienna means that when it snows, I don't ride. You guys in Arlington are spoiled with the county plowing the bike path. I remember one year when VDOT had the bright idea of dumping all the snow that was accumulating on the side of I-66 onto the bike path that ran below it. Took forever for that to melt.

5. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    i remember one year when vdot had the bright idea of dumping all the snow that was accumulating on the side of i-66 onto the bike path that ran below it.
    VDOt SOP.

So, funny story. You can't do a post with all caps. I tried every combination and had to have at least one letter lower cased or it converted every letter to lower case. No shouting!
    Last edited by huskerdont; 10-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    #replacenotrepair
    I'm guessing this was not a NPS contractor, but rather a contractor for whatever DOT is responsible for TR Bridge maintenance. So, there is a clear need for heavy equipment to access the underside of the TR Bridge complex for maintenance purposes. Such access requires a road more substantial than a half-rotted boardwalk. Does anyone else see the potential for a deal here?
    Last edited by bentbike33; 10-02-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo

8. Likes dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So whoever place the trifecta bet on 14th Street Bridge, Trollheim, and the Memorial Bridge has won, big time!

10. Likes Judd, Brendan von Buckingham liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I got stuck behind that thing this morning when it went up the trail to the TR bridge. It was breaking boards on that short section as well. At the top they stopped and waved me by, I assumed they were fixing something up there by the road. Not that they made a mistake and meant to take the left Glad I learned the alternate TR bridge route today. I'll have to take that or try my hand at going from Memorial to Custis via Fort Myer, Iwo Jima, 110 from the other thread. Hopefully there will be someone who knows what they are doing in front of me that I can follow

dasgeh is online now Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Some moron construction workers attempted to drive a piece of machinery under the Roosevelt bridge on the wood raised section and it fell through. If you're headed south from Rosslyn, the only way across the river after the Key Bridge is Roosevelt.

Something tells me that its going to take a while to get this fixed. Any updates appreciated.

And I thought the stair detour at the 14-th street bridge sucked.
    To be clear: can someone ride to the Roosevelt Bridge now or is the western-most part (west of the T intersection) of the Trollheim damaged?

13. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    To be clear: can someone ride to the Roosevelt Bridge now or is the western-most part (west of the T intersection) of the Trollheim damaged?
    If you are coming from Rosslyn riding south (downstream direction), you can get on the Roosevelt Bridge. The damage is just beyond where the boardwalk splits -- about 100 feet from the split.

15. Likes Tania, JorgeGortex, rcannon100 liked this post
    dasgeh is online now Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaEbike View Post
    Glad I learned the alternate TR bridge route today. I'll have to take that or try my hand at going from Memorial to Custis via Fort Myer, Iwo Jima, 110 from the other thread. Hopefully there will be someone who knows what they are doing in front of me that I can follow
    It's pretty easy -- things to remember: the downstream side of the Memorial Bridge is the safest. Then cross the street when you get to the intersection (after the bridge, at the Metro). Then take the trail that runs along the road that goes off to the right. From there, you can take the road or trail to the Iwo Jima, then take the trail just south of the Iwo Jima up to the Road. That road will become Lynn street and take you to the intersection of doom.