Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Mill Road

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dry Mill Road

Sunday 9/16 I was riding solo on Dry Mill Road when I was hit from behind. Several other cars had passed me without incident, but I never saw or heard this one coming.

My Salsa Vaya was totaled. I was thrown and landed in soft grass. After my visit to the ER we went back to the scene and combed the area for missing pieces. We marked the white line with a Sharpie anytime we found something, and paced out a roughly 40-foot debris trail.

Pictures of the damage (trigger warning for the squeamish): https://ginacico.smugmug.com/Bikes/S...-and-the-ugly/

The driver was cited with the 3-foot law, and a case is pending.

46.2-839. Passing bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, moped, animal, or animal-drawn vehicle.

I know this road is popular for Loudoun County rides, and for good reason; it's beautiful and smooth. But now I will cringe every time I see hooky rides or Strava tracks passing that spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, that really sucks. I live in downtown Leesburg so thats my neck of the woods, and I ride bits of Dry Mill fairly regularly. Its indeed a lovely road and popular with cyclists, but has the problem that a lot of Loudoun roads do: people driving really fast on roads with poor sitelines. If you don't mind me asking, exactly where were you hit, and going what direction?

I really hope you weren't too injured; the bike damage definitely shows a really serious impact. Bikes can be replaced, and with the driver at fault their insurance will hopefully be taking care of it.

3. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gina, SO GLAD we do not have to deploy a Ghost Bike for you!

Sorry this happened...
    Last edited by Starduster; 10-01-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. Based on the photos and your description, it looks like a horrible collision. I hope you're okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, exactly where were you hit, and going what direction?
    Eastbound into town, a little before the intersection at Woodburn Road.

Thanks, all.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this. Hope you're okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. I had heard about this through the grapevine and was really glad to hear that you had a relatively soft landing. So sorry this happened to you and that your bike is totaled. (But yay new bike day?)

Hope that the bruises and stiffness have subsided. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

Post Thanks / Like

I had seen your Strava post on the subject and knew you were mostly okay, but looking at the pics, I have to say you must be one tough (and fortunate) cookie. Sorry about your beautiful bike, but glad you were not seriously hurt.

DE

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just glad your injuries weren't catastrophic. I can't believe that a-hole driver got off with just a 3 foot citation. They could have easily killed you.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Eastbound into town, a little before the intersection at Woodburn Road.

Thanks, all.
    So a flat section with good sight lines. Any indication the driver was on a cell phone?

Also, distressed to read about the crash (not accident), but am relieved that you were not more seriously injured. RIP sweet Vaya.