Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry Mill Road

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Also, the deputy sheriff who wrote the citation asked me to remind cyclists riding the W&OD in Loudoun County that they should stop at road crossings where there are stop signs.

I told him I'm all for it and promised to relay that message, if he reminds local drivers they're not supposed to hit us. Fair is fair.
    Similar thing happened to me in Fairfax County. Had a driver try to run me off the road very deliberately, and the driver also got out of his car and chased after me to fight me. I just noted the license plate, rode away, and called the police. When they arrived and heard my story, the first thing the police officer said was "well, I saw some cyclists run through a stop signs last week."

Post Thanks / Like

Silver linings. I saw a man about a bike today. A new bike, which has the potential to make me giddy like a little girl, just like Vaya did.

Name:  Klatch.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  21.1 KB
    (ad photo only)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I'm glad to hear there's a silver lining. Looking forward to seeing the new bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Outcome of the case for the guy who hit me -- found guilty in Loudoun County District Court, charged $100 fine plus court costs.

I could not attend this morning because of a PT appointment, my recovery is ongoing.

5. Dislikes josh disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is absurd

7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Outcome of the case for the guy who hit me -- found guilty in Loudoun County District Court, charged $100 fine plus court costs.

I could not attend this morning because of a PT appointment, my recovery is ongoing.
    The problem is we don't have the appropriate crime. We need a new felony, "Attempted Negligent Homicide" charged for doing something so stupid it was just pure luck the victim did not die.

9. Likes Judd, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can use the outcome of the case(regardless of fine) to sue the driver, like for emotional injury. You can ask the bike lawyer about your options, or post to this site, and lawyers would respond with suggestions, mainly so you contact them. But you may want to search the site first for "bicycle" in Virginia. Here is a link to that search results. The main thing lawyers ask is not to discuss what happened publicly(including social media), just in case the initial version and later versions don't match, which can be used to discredit a claim or witness. Welcome to the club!

Post Thanks / Like

This is apparently really an issue in VA. We've been talking about it in Alexandria BPAC meetings and with city council and our state reps. If you're not drunk, the repercussions of hitting, even killing a cyclist are incredibly minor. The max penalty is $250. Which is just f*cking absurd.

12. Likes ginacico, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is the "incredulous" button?

Only good thing about this is that the court confirmed the driver was at fault, so if you need to pursue things, you've got that.

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I biked around this area with Robyne and Samantha yesterday. We had a few drivers on the gravel roads in the area buzz us at speed.