Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strava problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fxbooks View Post
    I also have a Samsung Android, and I also have to wait for Strava to Acquire a GPS signal before I start a ride. My issue was that it would randomly miss half a mile to a mile of my ride before it picked up, especially when I used the Strava widget to start my ride. If I try to start Strava in the house, I have to stand next to a window to make sure that the GPS gets acquired, and even then it doesn't always work.
    So I'm not the only one. Stopped working in my basement too. When winter comes and it's 18 degrees out, I'm not sure what I'm going to do; taking my hands out of my gloves isn't going to help them stay warm on the whole ride. What's strange is that this only started happening early this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    When winter comes and it's 18 degrees out, I'm not sure what I'm going to do; taking my hands out of my gloves isn't going to help them stay warm on the whole ride.
    Get a Garmin or a Wahoo ELEMNT. These devices have buttons that work with gloves on and can also record the temperature during your ride so you can prove your Rule 9 Badassery to all.

3. Likes huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Samsung Android as well, and when I had (somewhat) similar issues, it was because I didn't wait until the phone said "GPS signal acquired" before starting. I can't get a GPS signal in our parking garage anymore, so I would start without it assuming it would catch, but sometimes it did not. Now I ride out of the garage, stop, and turn on Strava, then ride again since I was losing large portions of some rides. Like you, there would sometimes be a straight-line jump from where I started to where it finally picked up, if it did at all, and at other times it would just start a few miles into my ride.

The teeny-tiny bit happened to me once as well, and best I can figure there is I didn't manually disable the screen with the button on the upper right so Strava may have turned off in my pocket.
    I already often check to make sure GPS is on and at the right location - this AM at Park Center, made sure it was on. It drew a straight line from Park Center to Crystal City (exactly 3.3 miles, BTW) It clearly had GPS at Park Center, and at Crystal City.

Re Hozn's suggestion - I have ridewithGPS on my phone, and will try recording on that as well. It currently thinks I am in Crystal City, as does Strava, though Google Maps is aware that I am in Navy Yard. Going towards the building atrium or a window does not seem to help.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

RideWithGPS was also wrong showed a short straight line on Eads, while Strava showed a 3.5 mile straight line from SW DC to just past Crystal City. I did a full reboot this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I've stopped actually using my phone or cycling computer to record rides. I much prefer the quality of a handcrafted, artisanal GPX file. It's simpler and less wear-and-tear on your bikes to just upload one of those to Strava. It might not be cheaper (have to pay a master craftsman to build them for me), but ultimately I think it's a better solution for me than actually riding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Get a Garmin or a Wahoo ELEMNT. These devices have buttons that work with gloves on and can also record the temperature during your ride so you can prove your Rule 9 Badassery to all.
    I considered the Element since so many sang its praises, but decided I'd get a Garmin 735xt watch instead that I could use swimming, running, and kayaking. I often use it as a backup for riding but usually stick with the phone since the Garmin slightly underrecords distance (compared not just to the phone but all of the non-Strava cycling computers on my bikes as well as other riders' information in group rides) and vastly underestimates elevation gain compared to the Strava-modified data from my phone. However, I probably will use it more this winter. I have Raynauds and my hands will go white and bloodless even in the 50s, so I'm doing all the HTFUing I care to do even riding in the winter.

Still, it could be something I'd get in the future. If I'm not riding a bike I'm generally thinking of buying something for them.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 09-26-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    They generate high frequency signal in the range of 100 to 500 KHz.
    The GPS L1 and L2 frequencies are 1575 and 1227 MHz, respectively. Unless the power supply has a really strong upper harmonic or the GPS receiver has an IF in the 100-500 KHz range, I'm not convinced the power supply is interfering w/ GPS reception.

Post Thanks / Like

the Garmin slightly underrecords distance (compared not just to the phone but all of the non-Strava cycling computers on my bikes as well as other riders' information in group rides) and vastly underestimates elevation gain compared to the Strava-modified data from my phone.
    I have an ELEMNT Bolt. Distance seems accurate, but it tends to exaggerate elevation gain compared to Strava-corrected rides (a feature, not a bug?). It works and plays well with Strava and Ride-with-GPS. It finds the satellites pretty reliably, and I like the route feature where you can plan rides on Strava or Ride-with-GPS and download.

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken have you poked around much in GPS faqs on android/strava forums? You could have recently gotten an update that changed a setting under the hood about which/when/how the app is connecting or pausing certain location services for your phone or for particular apps, or not switching between connectivity through wifi networks and cell towers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    Ken have you poked around much in GPS faqs on android/strava forums? You could have recently gotten an update that changed a setting under the hood about which/when/how the app is connecting or pausing certain location services for your phone or for particular apps, or not switching between connectivity through wifi networks and cell towers.
    I have not checked those places yet. I did try a full reboot, and tested by walking around with it in my suit pocket and in my hand. First time I started walking right after I turned Strava on (as I have always done when riding) with it in my pocket. Failed. Second time I walked with it in my hand - and watched it correctly estimate my speed and then when I saved, saw it had recorded the walk correctly. Third time I kept it open for a few seconds while I walked with it in my hand THEN put it in my pocket - and it seems to have stopped the second I put it in my pocket (or the moment the screen went blank?)

Oh, I also turned Wifi off after the first walk, as it was interfering with all phone updates at the location I was at.