Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got Doored at Virginia Sq.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you didn't get any serious injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Good: Any accident you can bike away from. Have contact information for motorist. Have all of it on camera.
    Question: did you get the driver's insurance information? When I had my crash back in July, even though I was lucky to have the police cite the driver, having the insurance information made the "paying for bike repairs" part smooth and simple. In my case, I got an estimate from my bike shop in case the driver's insurance company wanted it. The insurance company gave me no trouble and sent a check that covered everything a few weeks later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Yup, in my opinion one factor in making some door zone lanes worse than others, aside from width, is the amount of parking turnover. One of the things that makes the southbound lane on Crystal Drive terrible. The lane on Prince is not greate, but I guess it's at least wider, and the turnover is not quite as bad as in some other places.

At least in that whole corridor from Ballston to Rosslyn the County seems to be gradually replacing the conventional bike lanes with buffered/protected ones. Not sure if that is possible on that block.
    That's totally possible. There is a ton of space on Fairfax, included a useless median. There's no reason to have 4-lane highway right through the heart of the R-B corridor
    Last edited by Guus; 09-25-2018 at 02:29 PM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guus View Post
    That's totally possible. There is a ton of space on Fairfax, included a useless median. There's no reason to have 4-lane highway right through the heart of the R-B corridor
    For all of Fairfax Drive between Glebe and Wilson, we should extend the protected two way cycle track on the Northside of the street.

I know that sort of thing isn't ideal on many streets, but on Fairfax, there are few driveways and lots of peds, so drivers are used to looking for peeps coming from both directions on the sidewalk, and the Northside allows the cycle track to avoid two metro stops worth of bad drivers.

Sorry this happened. Glad it wasn't worse.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guus View Post
    The median isn't useless, it lowers the risk of drivers injuring themselves when speeding. (True story!)

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Dislikes dasgeh disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Bad: Motorist not cited for Dooring under 46.2-818.1. Any accident where perceived damage is less than $1000 is not a cite-able offense either.
    $1000 of property damage is a threshold for mandatory reporting of a collision, I think that's likely what the officer was getting confused by. (Of course not being required to file a collision report doesn't mean not being able to issue a citation.)

https://one.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/stateCat.../va/crash.html

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, police were onsite and filled out a contact form, and were treating it as a two vehicle collision with minor damage. Not sure if that's lack of understanding of the code by the officer involved or when you only think you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Motorist was very contrite and apologetic and admitted to what happened. Having the video cameras probably assisted that; looking thru the video he seemed to realize they they were on and recording.

I've been contacted by his insurance company; guessing his door was worse than I was expecting. I'm waiting to get back from Spokes the assessment of my bike as to the value of the damages.

I'm in agreement with regards to the size of the lanes on Fairfax, I believe that my paranoia with getting rear-ended from the vehicles that were behind me at the light kept me in the right-most part of the bike lane. At some point in that ride (probably sitting at the light at Quincy right by the construction) I thought "If I took the lane, drivers would get pissed off because 'Get in the bike lane!'"

I bought the cameras because in the last 4 weeks I've been passed on the right while in the 7th Street NW bike lane at E Street by a driver who told me to get off the road I was making him late, and then almost hit twice by the same person at Columbia St and Van Buren because (first time) I took the lane when the lane got constricted to a single lane due to parked vehicles, and then again as I attempted to turn left at the dog park to get on the W&OD at Sycamore/Banneker Park. Got told where I could stick my turn signal too. Sad that they had to come into use so soon after purchase.

10. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, you are so lucky there wasn't a car passing close in the travel lane