Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Doored at Virginia Sq.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got Doored at Virginia Sq.

I guess in the realm of just reporting things, got doored by a motorist parking in front of the Virginia Square Metro this morning. Was traveling in the bike lane. Have it all on these nice camera things that I bought just last week for this very scenario.

Good: Any accident you can bike away from. Have contact information for motorist. Have all of it on camera.

Bad: Motorist not cited for Dooring under 46.2-818.1. Any accident where perceived damage is less than $1000 is not a cite-able offense either. Got some minor contusions, did not hit my head, but afterwards I noticed I will probably have to get my front wheel trued and only later this evening did I notice I have a nice scratch on my fork -- hope it's not broken. And No, it seems that running two head lights, one high beam and one in really-freaking-annoying-any-other-cyclist-on-the-W&OD-strobe-mode and wearing reflective garments did not help in this situation.

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Dislikes sjclaeys, josh, Dewey, vvill, Sunyata, bentbike33 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    I guess in the realm of just reporting things, got doored by a motorist parking in front of the Virginia Square Metro this morning. Was traveling in the bike lane. Have it all on these nice camera things that I bought just last week for this very scenario.

Good: Any accident you can bike away from. Have contact information for motorist. Have all of it on camera.

Bad: Motorist not cited for Dooring under 46.2-818.1. Any accident where perceived damage is less than $1000 is not a cite-able offense either. Got some minor contusions, did not hit my head, but afterwards I noticed I will probably have to get my front wheel trued and only later this evening did I notice I have a nice scratch on my fork -- hope it's not broken. And No, it seems that running two head lights, one high beam and one in really-freaking-annoying-any-other-cyclist-on-the-W&OD-strobe-mode and wearing reflective garments did not help in this situation.
    Sorry to hear that and sorry for having an Arlington government that is more interested in putting in shiny bike lanes than doing the hard stuff like having the police enforce the law.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are okay. As you know, dooring can be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Sorry to hear that and sorry for having an Arlington government that is more interested in putting in shiny bike lanes than doing the hard stuff like having the police enforce the law.
    Nothing makes a bike lane shine quite like automotive paint swinging through it (or parking on it). And Arlington does like to keep its bike lanes shiny.

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have discussed this at BAC. The police will write a report if you request it, even if damage is under the threshold.

However, I'm not sure I believe that. Running a stop light or speeding is a cite-able offense even if there is no damage whatsoever. I don't believe issuing a traffic citation has anything to do with whether or not there is damage or bodily harm.
    Did you get the officer's name?

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that’s down the road from me, sorry about the dooring, may your bruises heal fast.

8. Likes PeteD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that; glad it's not worse.

I feel like these lanes are some of the worst for dooring in the county, at least of the lanes I regularly travel. I always ride right on the line, or even in the lane when passing those stupid shuttle buses that are too wide for the parking spaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I feel like these lanes are some of the worst for dooring in the county, at least of the lanes I regularly travel. I always ride right on the line, or even in the lane when passing those stupid shuttle buses that are too wide for the parking spaces.
    Agree.

I guess the bike lanes on Clarendon Cannonball (especially Courthouse to Pierce) and Lynn St in Rosslyn are theoretically worse. But those ones are so horrendous that I simply take the lane all the time without a second thought.

The problem with Fairfax Drive is it's just barely wide enough that I feel uneasy when trying to claim a whole lane. (Plus it's flat so I'm slower than on Clarendon or Lynn.) So I also often hang right around the white line there. Which begets an additional challenge: make oneself appear unpredictable enough to frighten would-be buzzers into keeping their distance.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post

That's the worst section of Fairfax Dr for dooring due to Metro and Starbuck$. I also call BS on "not cite-able," no requirement for damage amount in the statute, more likely the "bike-friendly," silver award level community ACPD internal policy. Besides, a scratched crabon front fork must be replaced before it shatters, new a Zipp wheel, and the Pete Beers Friends-and-Family discount, Hello Kitty sticker of approval labor costs, and your full body CAT scan to check for personal damage are sure to be over $1000. ; )
    Last edited by consularrider; 09-25-2018 at 12:13 PM.

12. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    That's the worst section of Fairfax Dr for dooring due to Metro and Starbuck$.
    Yup, in my opinion one factor in making some door zone lanes worse than others, aside from width, is the amount of parking turnover. One of the things that makes the southbound lane on Crystal Drive terrible. The lane on Prince is not greate, but I guess it's at least wider, and the turnover is not quite as bad as in some other places.

At least in that whole corridor from Ballston to Rosslyn the County seems to be gradually replacing the conventional bike lanes with buffered/protected ones. Not sure if that is possible on that block.

Post Thanks / Like

PeteD, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad to hear you came through generally ok.

I also don't see a requirement for damages, let alone damages of $1000, in the statute. Only enforcing the law when there's damage and/or injury undermines the purpose of the law and does nothing to change driver behavior.

15. Likes consularrider liked this post