Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apparent hit and run at 12th & Constitution

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    *This* quote from the article- "Seven pedestrians, including cyclists, scooter riders, and those walking, have been killed in D.C. by drivers since June 23. A woman struck by the driver of a truck by McPherson Square on Friday morning is currently in critical condition."

"Vision Zero" is, at this moment, wishful thinking and a joke...at best.
    Updated to reflect that the woman struck by the driver of a truck on Friday died of her injuries.

(Can't dislike one's own post )
    Last edited by PeteD; 10-15-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: :(

Post Thanks / Like

The Washington Post reported that Phillip Peoples, who struck and killed Tom Hollowell, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a6b_story.html

Post Thanks / Like

So if you speed through a red light, kill someone, flee the scene and then lie about it later to police, you only get 18 months in jail. Shame on the prosecutor for plea bargaining down the offence to involuntary manslaughter, shame on the judge who could have at least given a sentence of 3 years but decided to give half, and shame on the defense attorney who actually used the "late for work" excuse for criminally negligent driving. This is what "Vision Zero" really looks like.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.1032720feb3d

4. Likes Steve O, wheels&wings liked this post
    Falls Church VA or Bristol UK 🇬🇧 or Brazil 🇧🇷
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    So if you speed through a red light, kill someone, flee the scene and then lie about it later to police, you only get 18 months in jail. Shame on the prosecutor for plea bargaining down the offence to involuntary manslaughter, shame on the judge who could have at least given a sentence of 3 years but decided to give half, and shame on the defense attorney who actually used the "late for work" excuse for criminally negligent driving. This is what "Vision Zero" really looks like.

Hard to hit the "Like" button here when all I want to do is cry How is it that a life on a bicycle ... or 2 feet ... is worth so little?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post

I had the same reaction to this report. He frickin' drove away!...presumably thinking that he would get away with killing someone (he may not have known then, but he watches the news, I'm sure).
    When first confronted, he denied it... before he realized that the evidence was overwhelming.
    Then he shows up in court and expresses remorse. Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I had the same reaction to this report. He frickin' drove away!...presumably thinking that he would get away with killing someone (he may not have known then, but he watches the news, I'm sure).
    When first confronted, he denied it... before he realized that the evidence was overwhelming.
    Then he shows up in court and expresses remorse. Ha.
    This is what politicians, athletes, and celebrities routinely do and get away with, so it shouldn't be a big surprise. One can only hope that he serves his 18 months someplace where his fellow inmates find him attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Then he shows up in court and expresses remorse.
    He was sorry he had to show up in court, obviously. Real tragedy for him.

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I completely agree that he should have gotten more time, I'm actually encouraged by this. Usually this is just treated as a big whoopsie and he'd get a moving violation and maybe a few points. It's generally really difficult to get jail time for killing someone with your car as long as you're sober. If he'd stayed on the scene he probably wouldn't have even gone to trial.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just repeating myself ad nauseum, but what does it take anymore to revoke someone's driving privileges? Even in the most egregious cases, it just never seems to happen. It makes me crazy to think this guy could be driving again in 18 months.

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    I'm just repeating myself ad nauseum, but what does it take anymore to revoke someone's driving privileges? Even in the most egregious cases, it just never seems to happen. It makes me crazy to think this guy could be driving again in 18 months.
    This.
    If you kill someone while driving a car and are found at fault, you should have your license revoked forever, the rest of your life.