Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Cyclist Collision in 15th St. Lane

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist Collision in 15th St. Lane

I don't doubt that this happens like every day, but here goes.

Two cyclists heading north in the 15th Street NW lane collided near K St around 6:10pm on 9/19. One went down, words were exchanged, and both cyclists continued on their bikes. Both cyclists were passing aggressively and with little consideration for the other cyclists in the crowded lane. Part of what bothers me about these types of incidents is that other cyclists could easily become entangled in the morass.

To me, the problems are: inconsiderate passing; a lane that is too narrow; and the fact that there is zero enforcement of blocking of the intersections by motorists, so lots of jostling by cyclists to get around each other.

I struggle with whether I would be safer riding on the right side of 15th Street or another street than in the lane. I think the lane offers a false sense of safety.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post

I struggle with whether I would be safer riding on the right side of 15th Street or another street than in the lane. I think the lane offers a false sense of safety.
    Iíve seen lots of folks just taking a lane when going northbound. It seems lime they are generally going the same speed or faster than car traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

I ride the right lane when going north. Perfectly safe with room to maneuver.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Iíve seen lots of folks just taking a lane when going northbound. It seems lime they are generally going the same speed or faster than car traffic.

That strikes me as the correct choice. Until such time as we can get multilane PBL's, it seems like the PBL should be for those going more slowly and with less confidence, and taking the lane for those who are faster and have more confidence, both because taking the lane is a better option for those who are faster than those who are slower, and the PBL intersection issues are worse when you are faster.

What to do about those who ride fast, but are NOT highly confident in traffic, I do not know.