Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bikes on the Metro During Rush Hour - WABA Petition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I saw a data analysis a while ago that indicated the crowded conditions were limited to less than half the lines for less than half of the rush hour ban. Look at the data and figure out a policy that makes sense for the whole system, not just based on one person's commute.
    In return, don't reject the real concerns of people who experience dangerous crowding on metro because you apparently do not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    One important difference was that the BART cars I was on had special places to stow bicycles, which our cars do not have. (Seems to contradict their "Bicyclists must hold their bikes while on the trains" rule.) Providing special stowage places on Metro cars would cost $.
    The BART racks don't lock the bikes in, they just provide a designated spot where you stand and hold your bike (a spot that doesn't have a seat facing it, so you don't have to worry about banging people in the leg). Now, does anyone think WMATA would provide a designated space, or would we just cram bikes into metro cars not designed for them?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    In return, don't reject the real concerns of people who experience dangerous crowding on metro because you apparently do not.
    Not sure what you're trying to say. I don't reject the concerns of the crowded - I think the policy should take those into account, but not let them trump the fact that there is space elsewhere. Formulate a policy that makes room for both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Really? I'd say it seems you live in metro fantasy land. I actually have to take the train a stop or two in the OPPOSITE direction in order to get back on a different train heading in my direction. And that's at 4:30pm before the real rush hour crush.

We can't even get cyclists to call their passes; there's no way they're not going to board crowded trains. And what if the train fills up after they've boarded?

I'll say it again, it's a TERRIBLE idea. Metro is bad (crowded) enough as it is. Ridership may be down but safety issues or crowded tracks (OSB for example) mean the trains aren't running as frequently.
    Even thought I want to be able to take my bike on the metro during rush hour, I have to agree with Tania's sentiment in that the metro system is not well-designed for bikes. If they are going to do this and avoid a bikelash from regular riders, WMATA needs to think long and hard about implementation. Bikers should get on at only very specific places and there should be good rules/etiquette signage on how to bring a bike on board without irritating the 10-15 metro riders near you.

The more I think about it, it seems like some phased pilot implementation, limiting it to select stations or maybe scaling back the current no-bike hours, would be best. Metro should proceed cautiously.

5. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Really? I'd say it seems you live in metro fantasy land. I actually have to take the train a stop or two in the OPPOSITE direction in order to get back on a different train heading in my direction. And that's at 4:30pm before the real rush hour crush.

We can't even get cyclists to call their passes; there's no way they're not going to board crowded trains. And what if the train fills up after they've boarded?

I'll say it again, it's a TERRIBLE idea. Metro is bad (crowded) enough as it is. Ridership may be down but safety issues or crowded tracks (OSB for example) mean the trains aren't running as frequently.
    You ever been on the green line heading from Waterfront out to Suitland in the morning? It's dead. Each car has half a dozen Census workers on it. There's no reason you couldn't put a bike on.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    You ever been on the green line heading from Waterfront out to Suitland in the morning? It's dead. Each car has half a dozen Census workers on it. There's no reason you couldn't put a bike on.
    Actually, the reverse commute would be ideal for bikes on Metro during rush hours. It also helps solve some of the problem of infrequent buses and reverse commute destinations being "too far to walk" from Metro stations.

9. Likes creadinger, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why blanket bans in most circumstances are stupid. But people with the bikes have to use common sense too.

11. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post

From Waterfront to Navy Yard the BTS folks could count the bikes, and then the Census folks could tell us why our methodology is wrong.

13. Likes dasgeh, Sunyata liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Actually, the reverse commute would be ideal for bikes on Metro during rush hours. It also helps solve some of the problem of infrequent buses and reverse commute destinations being "too far to walk" from Metro stations.
    Unfortunately it would require WMATA to actually check which trains people are putting their bikes on. Which is why I think the best modification is simply to drop the ban on Fridays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Not sure what you're trying to say. I don't reject the concerns of the crowded - I think the policy should take those into account, but not let them trump the fact that there is space elsewhere. Formulate a policy that makes room for both.
    What I'm trying to say is that you seem to think that bikes on metro is something that's too important to let any other concern derail it. Conversely, I think bikes on metro is a nice to have, but metro is in no position to implement that well. I'd rather preserve the status quo than see a half-assed unsafe policy change--and I don't think it's at all reasonable to demand that WMATA spend money on this when there are more pressing issues facing the system. There is no policy that metro can implement that will allow bikes at all times without degrading the safety and convenience of a larger fraction of riders.

16. Likes sjclaeys liked this post