Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikes on the Metro During Rush Hour - WABA Petition

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bikes on the Metro During Rush Hour - WABA Petition

Metro is considering allowing bikes to be carried on the metro during rush hour. Full details and a WABA petition are here:

http://www.waba.org/blog/2018/09/tak...ing-rush-hour/

This is a low effort advocacy event. Just enter your e-mail address and hit enter.

2. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    This is a low effort advocacy event. Just enter your e-mail address and hit enter.
    Note that this will get you a survey that asks about how often you ride various forms of transit. Apparently if you don't ride Metrorail often enough, you won't get asked about taking your bike on it...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post
    Note that this will get you a survey that asks about how often you ride various forms of transit. Apparently if you don't ride Metrorail often enough, you won't get asked about taking your bike on it...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Yup! Happened to me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is a terrible idea. I can barely get ME on the train during rush hour.

6. Likes mstone, rcannon100, ian74 liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    This is a terrible idea. I can barely get ME on the train during rush hour.
    It seems your situation is more the exception than the rule, and could easily be dealt with by rules that allow bikes when they fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Metro ridership peaked in 2008.

I do feel for Tania here though. There are not great spots to safely put your bike on a train and the city doesn't have the NYC Subway standard of being the city's lifeline and we all know the change in policy isn't coming along with a change in train-car design.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It seems your situation is more the exception than the rule, and could easily be dealt with by rules that allow bikes when they fit.
    yup, because people follow the rules and metro is good at enforcing rules on the trains

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There are definitely times (the trains are much less crowded on Fridays, somewhat less I think on Mondays, and less crowded near the end of peak) and places (the reverse commute direction in many places, for example) where the current rules are unnecessarily strict, and of course some times and places where there is no room for bikes. IIUC BART asks riders to not take their bikes onto crowded trains, and IIUC that has worked out there. It is of course possible that riders in DC are less likely to be polite than those in the Bay Area, I don't know.

I would point out that some people already DO violate the rules and take bikes on metro at peak times. I think its likely that adding people who will take their bike on metro only after the rule changes, is likely to bring more rule abiding riders onto metro - but I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post

Really? I'd say it seems you live in metro fantasy land. I actually have to take the train a stop or two in the OPPOSITE direction in order to get back on a different train heading in my direction. And that's at 4:30pm before the real rush hour crush.

We can't even get cyclists to call their passes; there's no way they're not going to board crowded trains. And what if the train fills up after they've boarded?

I'll say it again, it's a TERRIBLE idea. Metro is bad (crowded) enough as it is. Ridership may be down but safety issues or crowded tracks (OSB for example) mean the trains aren't running as frequently.

12. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Works in San Francisco, why not here? Oh yeah, right.

ETA that I think it is a great *idea* that will never work in practice.

14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Dislikes dasgeh disliked this post