Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Friends of the Mt. Vernon Trail Trimming and Trail Cleanup - Saturday, Sept 22nd

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Friends of the Mt. Vernon Trail Trimming and Trail Cleanup - Saturday, Sept 22nd

The newly formed Friends of the Mt. Vernon Trail will be holding it's very first event on Saturday, September 22nd. FOMVT will be trimming back vegetation encroaching on the trail and also remove trash in the areas around Gravelly Point in conjunction with National Public Lands Day. We'll focus our efforts on clearing the vegetation on the ramp to the 14th Street Bridge and also just south of Gravelly Point (we'll take care of that bush that's blocking nearly half the trail right now). NPS will provide equipment and a brief training for anyone who wants to trim vegetation, but you're free to bring your own equipment. We'll plan on meeting at Gravelly Point at 10 and work until noon. A registration link is below, but you can also register at the event. I'm planning on heading to Crystal City afterwards for lunch on a patio and encourage everyone to join.

What: Friends of the Mt. Vernon Trail Vegetation Trimming and Trail Cleanup
    When: Saturday, September 22nd from 10 a.m. to noon
    Where: Gravelly Point on the Mt. Vernon Trail (look for the NPS tent)
    Why: Cause you walk, run or bike on the Mt. Vernon Trail and want it to be safer and look good.
    Kid Friendly?: Yes! You can hold the bag and make them do all the work picking up trash!
    Incentive: All participants will receive a free 1 Day Admission to a National Park
    What to Bring: NPS will provide equipment, but feel free to bring your own gloves and trimming equipment

Registration: https://www.neefusa.org/npld/george-...gravelly-point

Hope to see you there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    When: Saturday, September 22nd from 10 a.m. to noon
    That registration page says "09:00 to 15:00". Is there a larger event that FoMVT is only doing part of...?

I'm interested, but it'll take me an hour to get there, and I'd hate to be showing up late (or feel weird about leaving early)….

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post
    That registration page says "09:00 to 15:00". Is there a larger event that FoMVT is only doing part of...?

I'm interested, but it'll take me an hour to get there, and I'd hate to be showing up late (or feel weird about leaving early)….
    Thanks for the clarifying question. The Friends Group will be there from 10-12. The Park Service will be set up from 9-3 with their mobile unit encouraging Gravelly Point visitors to do some drop in volunteering. No worries if you can make it right at 10 or have to leave before 12.

Post Thanks / Like

Our first event was a success with 10 Friends of the Mt. Vernon Trail in attendance. You should notice that the trail from the 14th Street Bridge to the first Bridge by the airport has most of the vegetation that was encroaching the trail is now fixed.

We picked up multiple bags of trash around the airport and the 14th Street Bridge. There’s lots of trash along the river that was left after the recent flooding. Lots of styrofoam which is hard to pick up since it breaks into tiny fragments.

Most of the crew:

Emm was there:

Budding bicycle advocate Leslie was there:

Komorebi masterfully carrying a grabber and two bags of trash on her bike:

Post Thanks / Like

Komorebi also managed to carry a car part on her bike.

Don’t be a jackass. Call your passes.

Lots of stuff to see in the GWMP:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good work yall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post