(Cross posted from General)

I received some information (and a request for help) from my contact at the Fairfax County Department of Transportation, Pedestrian and cycling programs:

We have a successful annual restriping program that has created over 90 miles of bike lanes in Fairfax County, but there is some concern that support for it could weaken in the future if new bike lanes are not being used as much as some have hoped. It was mentioned to me today that it would be desirable to see more current cyclists use bike lanes in Fairfax County (particularly in road diet situations), and that we need the bike communities support for that.

Would you be willing to reach out to your members/peers to encourage bike lane usage by regular cyclists throughout Fairfax County as an advocacy task?

Maybe (new) bike lanes could also be celebrated with regular rides, an internal competition who can ride the most miles on bike lanes, bike lane scavenger hunts, etc? Increased usage by regular riders may also inspire new riders to try out the on-street infrastructure.

Also, we are well aware that bike lanes can sometimes become covered in debris and gravel please also (continue to) encourage your members/friends/contacts to report hazardous bike lane conditions to VDOT at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov/. The website makes it easy and VDOT usually responds fairly quickly.

Thanks so much for your support!

Not sure how useful this information is to most, but I know I've wished for cleanup of debris in some of my FX County bike lanes. Now I know who to contact and how.