Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Back Roads Century Sept 16 - Anyone going?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back Roads Century Sept 16 - Anyone going?

So long as the weather holds, this weekend is the Back Roads Century out in Sheperdstown, WV. (a.k.a. the century I've been training for all summer).

I'm curious to see if anyone else is planning on doing it this year*, or have any experience it they'd like to share.

For those going, I find myself in a logistical quandary. I have a hotel for Saturday night and was planning on Mr. Kitty driving my tired-tail home on Sunday, but he might have to work. Is anyone interested/able in carpooling? If need be, we have a car with rack-space for two bikes, and I could drive one way. I just don't trust myself to drive home after.

For those who've experienced BRC, how is it? Any tips, stories to share about the ride or the area?

*I know full well that the hurricane might mess with this, but until then, hoping for moist but not impossible! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Backroads is a great ride. Lots of good scenery. I especially like the part that rides next to the river and the part that goes through the orchard. There’s a couple of challenging climbs but not too bad overall. It’s got a great afterparty on the campus of Shepherdstown University.

You may also want to hit up the Bavarian Inn across the street from the finish which will be celebrating Oktoberfest. I’ve grabbed a beer there the last three years.

If you have time there is a really nice ride Saturday morning that goes through Antietam Battlefield. It has an ice cream stop. I did this the past three years and then hung out in Shepherdstown afterwards which is a really nice town with lots of shops and places to eat in their downtown.

I’m not riding this year though but you should have a great time if the hurricane doesn’t get you.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, it's been canceled.

If you have been following the weather, or in most cases have looked outside this week, you will know that there has been an inordinate amount of rain in our region, as well as a category 4 hurricane that will threaten the Mid-Atlantic this weekend. We have been closely following several meteorologic trajectories of Hurricane Florence, as well as consulted local authorities and emergency service personnel for the Back Roads Century region. In this research, we have learned that many local roads along the BRC routes are already at or above flood stage, with no signs of abatement over the weekend, even without the predicted rainfall. The governor of West Virginia has also issued a State of Preparedness, which requires all local emergency and enforcement agencies to prepare to respond to imminent emergencies caused by the hurricane, and for local residents to prepare for an impending disaster.

It is with this information, and in our agreement that the safety of our riders, volunteers, and local authorities takes priority over a weekend riding experience, that we have made the decision to cancel the 2018 Back Roads Century.

This decision has not come lightly, nor without frustration, as we are sure you understand. Thousands of hours of planning over the past eight months to ensure a fantastic experience for our riders has abruptly come to an end without anything tangible in return. We are also making this decision ahead of a typical 48-hour forecast to ensure that you all have an opportunity to amend your plans and, for many in our region, plan for an impending natural disaster.

You may have already reviewed the BRC web page and have re-read the registration acknowledgement that the event would go on rain or shine, and no refunds would be given. However, due to the unprecedented nature of this weather, we are offering an unprecedented opportunity for our displaced cyclists. We would like to offer all of our registered riders a $30 credit towards next year's century. We hope that you will consider riding with us next year, under fairer skies and better circumstances. If you have any questions or concerns that we may not have entertained yet, please reach out to the club through our president at rbernstein55@yahoo.com.

Thank you once again for your interest and support in the Back Roads Century.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just going to go have a good cry.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    I'm just going to go have a good cry.
    I may have a replacement opportunity for you if the current Sunday forecast holds out.

10. Likes LhasaCM liked this post