Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Passing the baton / taking a year off

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed my first Freezing Saddles last year.

I found the team competition (points for days and miles) to be incredibly fun. I hope it will be among the games that make up Freezing Saddles 2019.

Thank you to Honz and jrenaut for all the hardwork that went into the website and IT.

2. Likes hozn, Judd, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    As I was telling the folks on the alphabet soup ride on Saturday... Maybe it is time to retire Freezing Saddles and just play Calvin Ball all winter.
    If we don't have points then we'll miss out on one of the central activities of Freezing Saddles - arguing over the points scheme (which apparently we've already started doing).

Seriously, even though I'm a middle of the pack rider who is never going to win anything pointswise, points get me out there riding on days when I otherwise would wimp out. Ultra-stupid rides motivated by points are among my favorite FS memories.

4. Likes PeteD, Nadine, awitt liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There's certainly nothing to stop anyone from taking over and running the leaderboards this year.

6. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's certainly nothing to stop anyone from taking over and running the leaderboards this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Regrettably, I lack the skills to be any help with the awesome leaderboards you've built. If the leaderboards end up taking a lower tech format this year, I'd certainly be willing to help.

9. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Sad! But also thank you for all of the work you’ve done to build, maintain and sometimes I crash the site. Freezing Saddles couldn’t have happened without it and I probably wouldn’t have had most of the friends I have today without Freezing Saddles, so your efforts have at least made my life better.
    I'm with Judd 1000%. I LOVE freezing Saddles. And I don't like winter, otherwise. And I'm so grateful to Hozn & Jon for everything you guys have done to make it happen.

I love how it's somehow competitive and non competitive at the same time. The support! The comMUnity! I feel like I get out of FS a lot of what religious people get out of religion. A vibrant supportive community - and we even worship a common icon! *♀️

I'm not in a position to offer to take over for hozn (I'm only just passable at strava) but I hope someone will step up. I could offer non computer support of some kind..... but I hope we can figure out a way. I've never figured out Calvinball, and I only found you guys 3 years ago, and I just recruited awitt last winter and she loves it too.... Sigh.

And if we do, Hozn, since you won't be on computer duty, maybe you'll be able to play this year?

I'm a middle of the road player, btw, like Accordioneur. The highest I've ever been on a team is 4th, and I've been pretty happy with that actually....

♥️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes LhasaCM, hozn, benihana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm grateful for you all who made FS what it is and welcomed me in a couple yrs ago.
    Thanks especially for all the background work coding or whatever it is that makes the leader boards work!

I'm in it for fun and to ride, to meet folks and bring others into the fun and games and riding. I love group rides in the winter and the games like Calvinball. So if the competition went away I'd be ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be willing to take it on. I’ve got the technical chops to do it. I also have server space from my community non-profit that could be used, or I could spring for AWS hosting for it. Hans, lets coordinate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is great!! (Richard and I are coordinating.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post
    I would be willing to take it on. I’ve got the technical chops to do it. I also have server space from my community non-profit that could be used, or I could spring for AWS hosting for it. Hans, lets coordinate.
    Could you please message me when you've got this worked out? I've been managing registration for the past several years, and do it through a Wordpress form. I would love to get that hosted on the same site as Freezing Saddles, so that we could just have the URL something like registration.freezingsaddles.com rather than the cumbersome URL (http://s94971567.onlinehome.us) I've been using.

17. Likes Judd, jrenaut, Nadine liked this post